Re: FOAF v vCard (was Representing vCard Objects...)

From: Renato Iannella <renato@nicta.com.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 12:26:11 +1000
To: Semantic community Web <semantic-web@w3.org>, public-xg-socialweb@w3.org

On 16 Feb 2010, at 01:58, Hugh Glaser wrote:

> Should I fire up foaf-wizard or vCard-wizard?
> Or both? If so, what will help me only enter data once?

The answer is "both" - which is not what the community-at-large needs or expects....

There is such a significant overlap between vCard/FOAF/PortableContacts [1] that it make logical sense that one becomes the core/normative - and the others *add-value* where there are missing functions/services.

Clearly, vCard is that core with its history and industry use.

And there are features in vCard 4.0 [2] liked RELATED [3] which supports "friend-of-friend" relationships (and more... like family, colleague etc) and vCard is taking the linked-data approach as a number of elements simply takes URIs as values, even the geo property.

I am not saying that vCard is perfect, but the timing and opportunity is right now for us to consider architecting what the "social profile" building blocks should be for the web....

Cheers...  Renato Iannella
NICTA

[1] https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AqtcXb4fZGyCdEtNSVJ0LXdvT3dBTHllOTZEbmZFaFE&hl=en
[2] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardrev-09