Re: Thing and Class

From: James Leigh <james-nospam@leighnet.ca>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 21:30:53 -0400
To: "Richard H. McCullough" <rhm@pioneerca.com>
Cc: Semantic Web at W3C <semantic-web@w3.org>

Hi Richard et al.

Here is an informal interpretation of some of the spec written in plain
English.

Class stands for classification.
We use Class to classify things.
Class is a set of Things.
"I am a Human" - I just classified myself as Human (I hope I'm right).
"I am a Thing" - that is true for everything.
Human is a classification of all people.
Thing is a classification of all things.
Every Human is a Thing. Therefore Thing is a super set of Human.
Is Human a Thing? No! its a Class!
Everything Thing is an individual.
Human is not an individual, it is a classification of individuals.
Thing is not an individual, it is a classification of individuals.
Can we classify Classes? Yes we can! Human is a classification - I just
classified Human as a classification.
Human is a Class.
Thing is a Class.
Are all Things Classes? No! I am a Thing, but I am not a classification.
Is Thing the same as Class? No! Human is not a Thing, but Human is a
Class.

Hope this helps,
James