Re: Thing and Class

From: <leo@mgn.ru>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 12:53:25 +0600 (YEKST)
To: "James Leigh" <james-nospam@leighnet.ca>
Cc: "Richard H. McCullough" <rhm@pioneerca.com>, "Semantic Web at W3C" <semantic-web@w3.org>

Dear Colleagues,
Suppose it will be very helpful for the "thing-class" discussion to look
at the Matthew West's ECM !! -
http://www.tc184-sc4.org/wg3ndocs/wg3n1328/lifecycle_integration_schema.html

Look at some of his Entities : --->>
Go to Diagram 9  	 cause_of_event
Go to Diagram 2 	class
Go to Diagram 18 	class_of_EXPRESS_information_representation
Go to Diagram 2 	class_of_abstract_object
Go to Diagram 10 	class_of_activity
Go to Diagram 23 	class_of_approval
Go to Diagram 23 	class_of_approval_by_status
Go to Diagram 8 	class_of_arranged_individual
Go to Diagram 7 	class_of_arrangement_of_individual
Go to Diagram 7 	class_of_assembly_of_individual
Go to Diagram 12 	class_of_assertion
Go to Diagram 8 	class_of_atom
Go to Diagram 8 	class_of_biological_matter
Go to Diagram 10 	class_of_cause_of_beginning_of_class_of_individual
Go to Diagram 10 	class_of_cause_of_ending_of_class_of_individual
Go to Diagram 3 	class_of_class
thing

A <thing> is anything that is or may be thought about or perceived,
including material and non-material objects, ideas, and actions.
Every <thing> is either a <possible_individual>, or an <abstract_object>.
NOTE 1 Every <thing> is identifiable within a system. System identifiers
created by other systems and received as part of a data exchange may be
stored for future reference as an identification, referring to the
originating organisation or system.
NOTE 2 Every example provided for other entity data types declared in this
schema is also an example of <thing>.

EXPRESS specification:

ENTITY thing

ABSTRACT SUPERTYPE OF 	(ONEOF(possible_individual, abstract_object));

id 	 :  	STRING;
record_copy_created 	 :  	OPTIONAL
representation_of_Gregorian_date_and_UTC_time;
record_created 	 :  	OPTIONAL representation_of_Gregorian_date_and_UTC_time;
record_creator 	 :  	OPTIONAL possible_individual;
record_logically_deleted 	 :  	OPTIONAL
representation_of_Gregorian_date_and_UTC_time;
why_deleted 	 :  	OPTIONAL class_of_information_representation;
UNIQUE

UR1 	 :  	id;
END_ENTITY;

Attribute definitions:
id 	 :  	An identifier of the <thing> for the purposes of record
management within a system.
record_copy_created 	 :  	The date and time when this copy of the record
was created in the current system. This attribute shall have a value only
when the current system is not the originating system.
record_created 	 :  	The date and time on which this record was first
created in its originating system.
record_creator 	 :  	The person, organisation or system that first created
this record in the originating system.
record_logically_deleted 	 :  	The date and time that this record was
logically deleted.
why_deleted 	 :  	The reason why the record was logically deleted.

NOTE: Logical deletion means that whilst the record is still available in
the system as a matter of historical record, it is no longer considered a
valid statement. That is to say it is considered that it was never true.

References (15):
Name 	Type 	Referred through 	Express-G
abstract_object 	Entity
Supertype
	Diagram 1
class_of_multidimensional_object 	Entity
Attribute 'parameters'
	Diagram 4
class_of_relationship_with_related_end_1 	Entity
Attribute 'related'
	Diagram 12
class_of_relationship_with_related_end_2 	Entity
Attribute 'related'
	Diagram 12
class_of_representation_of_thing 	Entity
Attribute 'represented'
	Diagram 17
classification 	Entity
Attribute 'classified'
	Diagram 2
functional_mapping 	Entity
Attribute 'input'
Attribute 'result'
	Diagram 15
involvement_by_reference 	Entity
Attribute 'involved'
	Diagram 9
multidimensional_object 	Entity
Attribute 'elements'
	Diagram 4
other_relationship 	Entity
Attribute 'end_1'
Attribute 'end_2'
	Diagram 11
possible_individual 	Entity
Supertype
	Diagram 6
recognition 	Entity
Attribute 'recognized'
	Diagram 9
representation_of_thing 	Entity
Attribute 'represented'
	Diagram 16
Go to Diagram 7 	class_of_class_of_composition
Go to Diagram 19 	class_of_class_of_definition
Go to Diagram 19 	class_of_class_of_description

Best,
Leonid Ototsky - http://ototsky.mgn.ru/it