From: semantic-web-request@w3.org on behalf of James Leigh
Sent: Thu 2008-08-28 03:30
To: Richard H. McCullough
Cc: Semantic Web at W3C
Subject: Re: Thing and Class

Hi Richard et al.

Here is an informal interpretation of some of the spec written in plain
English.

Class stands for classification.
We use Class to classify things.
Class is a set of Things.
"I am a Human" - I just classified myself as Human (I hope I'm right).
"I am a Thing" - that is true for everything.
Human is a classification of all people.
Thing is a classification of all things.
Every Human is a Thing. Therefore Thing is a super set of Human.
Is Human a Thing? No! its a Class!
Everything Thing is an individual.
Human is not an individual, it is a classification of individuals.
Thing is not an individual, it is a classification of individuals.
Can we classify Classes? Yes we can! Human is a classification - I just
classified Human as a classification.
Human is a Class.
Thing is a Class.
Are all Things Classes? No! I am a Thing, but I am not a classification.
Is Thing the same as Class? No! Human is not a Thing, but Human is a
Class.

Hope this helps,
James