Re: Tag ontology

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:07:16 -0800, Seth Russell <russell.seth@gmail.com> wrote:

> Richard,
>
> It would be nice to have this ontology.  One thing i would like to see
> in it would be something akin to a WordNet synset so that we could
> assert that some tag is a member of a set or synonyms.   The triples
> might look something like this with the topic being a URI to the
> preferred tag according to somedomain.
>
> <http:://somedomain/?synset=folksonomy> contains "folksonomy".
> <http:://somedomain/?synset=folksonomy> contains "folksonomies".
>
> If we had such a database we could use it right now.  What would be
> even keweler would be if delicious et al would allow us to create that
> db in the process of tagging.   You should be able to grab somebodies
> synset and process it *interactively* against your own.   Am i getting
> ahead of myself here?

It can all be done now - grab a triplestore.

The SKOS vocab can support synsets in various ways, directly like this:

  <skos:Concept rdf:about="http://www.example.com/concepts#folksonomy">
    <skos:prefLabel>folksonomy</skos:prefLabel>
    <skos:altLabel>folksonomies</skos:altLabel>
    <skos:altLabel>taggishness</skos:altLabel>

You can express mapping relationships between different (human)
vocabs/concept schemes in quite a few different ways (depending mostly
I guess on what you want to do with the stuff): using SKOS's
broader/narrower, RDF's subClassOf (and owl:equivalentClass) or
owl:sameAs.

Cheers,
Danny.
--