Cardinality of inputs

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 16:35:13 -0400
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org
There was a thread recently about cardinality of inputs. The thrust
being that it was odd to have to say that a step accepted a sequence
in order for it to accept zero or one documents.

I don't recall anyone objecting to the idea in principle, but I didn't
really like the syntax options very much.

Here's another option that I think I like better:

This breaks out as follows:

  Sequence    Optional    Input accepts
    no           no       Exactly one document
    yes          no       One or more documents
    no           yes      Zero or one documents
    yes          yes      Zero or more documents

I think the default, in both cases, should be "no".

Comments?

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | One's never alone with a rubber duck.
http://nwalsh.com/            |