Source without a step

From: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 12:31:15 -0400
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org
Irrespective of the syntax, it will be possible to specify a source
without a port, e.g.,

What does this mean?

Option 1: It's an error and we come back to it later when we're
talking about abbreviations.

Option 2: the "result" port of the preceding step. It's an error if
there's no preceding step.

Option 3: the "result" port of the preceding step or the parent step
if there's no preceding step. It's an error if there's no preceding
or parent step.

Option 4: The "result" port of the nearest "upstream" step that has
an output port named "result". It's an error if no such step exists.

Or something else?