Re: Alternative to x!y (proposal)

From: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 11:02:43 -0400
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org
/ Murray Maloney <murray@muzmo.com> was heard to say:
| That would be an error that the XML validator could catch. No extra code
| to write, you get that for free by writing a DTD or Schema. That was a
| significant part of what I was saying.

Well, I expect to publish a RELAX NG grammar that'll catch the former
error too :-)

| I don't feel that it is "bending" anything. This is a straightforward
| design decision. I am guided by Maler & ElAndaloussi as well
| as Rubinsky on this.

Well, I won't attempt to speak for Maler et. al., but we now have
validation technologies that are perfectly capable of supporting the
validation we need so I'm not sure what design principle you're
applying.

Input = HrefInput | SourceInput | HereInput

HrefInput = element source { attribute href { xsd:anyURI } ... }
SourceInput = element source { attribute source { text } ... }
HereInput = element source { ... anyElement+ }