Re: p:log feels clunky

From: James Fuller <james.fuller.2007@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 14:06:29 +0100
To: "Norman Walsh" <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Cc: public-xml-processing-model-comments@w3.org

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 5:24 PM, Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> wrote:
>  | <p:declare-step log="href">
>  | ....
>  | </p:declare-step>
>
>  I don't think those make any sense because there can be several input
>  and output streams and you would (presumably, at least) want different
>  log files for each.

it makes sense if what u want is to have a log of what happened at
that step and capture all input/output e.g. consider the trivial
example log output I generate from a declare-step with a
log="somefile.xml" attribute.

<step name="mystep">
  <input port="">some xml that came in</input>
  <output port="">xml output of the step</input>
</step>

I see this as a useful debugging output on <p:pipeline/>, <p:group/>,
try/catch, etc ... keeping the log format XML I think is useful as
well.

>  | and of course input/output
>  | <p:input log=""/>
>
>  That might be better. I don't recall why we made it an element off the
>  top of my head.

regards, Jim Fuller