Minutes for XML Core WG telcon of 2006 March 8

Attendees
---------
 Paul
 Ravi on IRC
 Glenn
 Norm
 Leonid
 Richard
 Henry
 François
 Daniel  xx:17

Guests
------
 Konrad Lanz  off at xx:12

[7 organizations (7 with proxies) present out of 10]

Regrets
-------
JohnC
Jose Kahan
Thomas Roessler

Absent organizations
--------------------
Lew Shannon

> 1. Accepting the minutes from the last telcon [3] and
>    the current task status [2] (have any questions, comments,
>    or corrections ready by the beginning of the call).

Accepted.

> We also need to accept the minutes for the f2f which are at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2006/02/xml-f2f-20060302-minutes.htm

Accepted.

> 2. Miscellaneous administrivia and document reviews.
>
> We discussed the future of the XML Core WG at our f2f at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2006/02/xml-f2f-20060302-minutes.htm#futures
> but we should discuss this as a group on the telcon.

The WG had CONSENSUS with the decision taken at the f2f
which was to write our new (post June) charter to finish
up what we are doing and maintaining the existing specs
without adding anything new. We would plan to have telcons
reduced to once a month.

ACTION to Paul, Norm, Henry:  Implement this decision
in the upcoming new WG charter.

> 3.  C14N
>
> Glenn created an editor's draft of C14N 1.1 which is up at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2006/02/WD-xml-c14n11
>
> We had some discussion at the f2f--see
> http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2006/02/xml-f2f-20060302-minutes.htm#c14n
> The discussion continues in email.
>
> Note that John Boyer, Thomas Roessler, Jose Kahan, and
> Konrad Lanz to the XML Core WG mailing list and are
> expected to dial in for these discussions.  We will
> take this topic near the beginning of the telcon to
> allow them to drop off as we get to other topics.
>
> ACTION to John Boyer (and others): Send comments on the
> the latest C14N 1.1 editor's draft to the XML Core WG list.

ACTION to John Boyer (and others) continued.

> At the f2f, we decided to produce a W3C WG Note documenting
> the current situation and issues and problems.
>
> ACTION to Thomas and John: Generate a draft of the Note.

ACTION to Thomas and John continued.

Glenn asked about how the dsig spec will be updated
to reference the new C14N 1.1.  Though this needs to
be confirmed with Thomas, Konrad said he didn't think
there was an existing dsig WG, but that one might get
chartered to do an update to the signatures spec.

> 4.  xml:base, [baseURI], and IRIs.
>
> At the f2f, we had CONSENSUS to change the
> xml:base spec to make it clear we allow IRIs as the
> value of xml:base. We also want to allow IRIs in the
> infoset [baseURI] information item.

One paragraph in the Infoset says the baseURI may
have unescaped characters, but elsewhere it says
the baseURI follows XML Base which points to RFC 2396.
If we change XML Base, we shouldn't have to change
the Infoset spec much.

> However, we are still discussing this in email.

ACTION to Richard:  Send another message in this thread.

ACTION to John:  Reply to Richard's message.

> 5.  XLink update.
>
> We DECIDED at the f2f to take XLink to CR.
>
> We still need to put exit criteria into the Status
> of the document.
>
> ACTION to Norm: Add exit criteria to the draft.

ACTION to Norm continued.

> At the f2f, we also decided we should augment the wording
> that François suggested (and that we are putting into all
> the specs including XLink) to describe the resolution
> algorithm for relative XML Resource Identifiers. It should
> parallel section 6.5 of section RFC 3987.
>
> ACTION to Norm:  Modify the XLink draft accordingly.

and send out separate email with the new wording.

ACTION to Francois:  Incorporate Norm's new wording into
one message that gives the new wording for all the specs
we are changing.

> Paul had sent a draft CR request at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2006Jan/0019
> but he needs to update it.
>
> ACTION to Paul: Send in the (updated) CR request.

Plan to send it in on March 16th.

ACTION to Henry:  Make preparatory plans to arrange for
a CR telcon the week of March 20th or so.  TimBL's attendance
will be required.

> 6. XML errata.  The published 1.0 errata document is [8], the
>    published 1.1 errata document is [9], and the new (public)
>    Potential Errata (PE) document is [7].
>
> JohnC did a scan for MUST/SHOULD and reported at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2005Oct/0015
> John thought most of the mays were not official mays.
>
> This is now PE 148.
>
> Henry produce a version at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2006/02/xml11-20060222.xml
>
> Norm looked at it and approved it.
>
> Paul reviewed it:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2006Feb/0039
> and closed the loop at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2006Mar/0014
>
> ACTION to Henry:  Make any final changes needed and repost.

Henry did so, version of 2006 March 8 at
http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2006/02/xml11-20060222.xml

Francois points out that this version does not reflect
errata since the third edition.

ACTION to Francois:  Send his latest source to Henry.

ACTION to Henry:  Try to merge the documents.

> We resolved some other PE at the f2f.
>
> We decided to resolve PE140 by saying that we have
> fiddled this wording enough and we aren't going to
> fiddle it any more for fear of making it worse.
>
> We decided to resolve PE142 by saying that we have
> fiddled this wording enough and we aren't going to
> fiddle it any more for fear of making it worse.
>
> ACTION to François: Update the PE document accordingly
> for PE 140 and 142.

ACTION to François continued.

> We note that the resolution to PE141 has already made
> what we believe is an appropriate wording change in this area.
>
> ACTION to Richard: Respond to the commentor about PE140/142
> including that there is nothing to prevent something from
> being both a WFC and a VC.

ACTION to Richard continued.

> With respect to PE143, after production [60], we should
> add a reference to the "No External Entity References" WFC.
>
> ACTION to François: Update the Errata and PE document
> accordingly for PE143.

ACTION to François continued.

> 7. Namespaces in XML.
>
> Richard suggested we take NS 1.1 and revert the two
> substantive changes (IRI and undeclared namespaces)
> to create NS 1.0 2nd Ed. The WG has consensus to do
> that, and we got approval from the team to do so.
>
> ACTION to Richard: Draft the 2nd edition of NS 1.0
> per the above plan (perhaps by creating a single XML
> source document for 1.0 and 1.1 using some conditionals).

ACTION to Richard continued.

> ACTION to Richard: Draft a NS 1.1 2nd Edition including
> this IRI work and the outstanding NS 1.1 errata which, to
> date, includes only the issue about preventing abuses of xmlns.

ACTION to Richard continued.

Richard hopes to do something in the next 2-3 weeks.

> 8. Xinclude Rec was published 2004 December 30 at:
>    http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xinclude-20041220/
>
> Our XInclude potential errata document is at:
> http://www.w3.org/XML/2005/01/proposed-xinclude-errata
>
> Daniel has updated the Errata document at
> http://www.w3.org/2004/12/xinclude-errata
>
> ACTION to Daniel: Update the PE about IRIs for XInclude.

ACTION to Daniel continued.

> ACTION to Daniel: Draft XInclude 2nd Edition with all
> the errata (including the IRI one) applied.

ACTION to Daniel continued.

> 9.  Associating stylesheets--awaiting TAG action.
>
> Henry reports that the HTML CG has been discussing this
> for a while.  They are developing a draft statement of
> the issue, and Chris Lilley will raise this at the XML CG.
>
> Chris started the discussion on the XML CG list--see
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-xml-cg/2005Jul/thread.html#15
> The XML CG will continue to discuss it for a while.
>

> 10.  Henry raises that RFC 3023 is out of date and the draft
> replacement has expired.  Henry says there is a new draft
> expected soon (Murata-san will send something to Chris to
> publish soon).
>
> Chris is still hoping that he and Murata will be able
> to publish a new ID for 3023bis soon.
>

> 11. xml:id is a Recommendation, published 2005 Sept 9:
>  http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/REC-xml-id-20050909/
>
> Robin Berjon asked a question about transition
> strategies that we discussed at the f2f--see
> http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2006/02/xml-f2f-20060302-minutes.h
> tm#xml-id

With the discussion at the f2f, we are closing this item.