Re: John Cowan pushes back on IRIs in [baseURI]

From: Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 16:27:14 +0000 (GMT)
To: Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>, John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>, public-xml-core-wg@w3.org

> > I believe that it would be improper to expose them as IRIs in the
> > Infoset's [baseURI] property.
>
> The Infoset already allows for the value to contain non-URI
> characters: it says "The value of these properties does not reflect
> any URI escaping that may be required for retrieval of the resource".

I should have also quoted the rest of that sentence, since it makes the
case even stronger:

   but it may include escaped characters if these were specified in
   the document, or returned by a server in the case of redirection.

The implication seems clear that if the document does *not* have the
characters escaped (and there has been no redirection) then the [base
URI] property should have the original unescaped characters.

-- Richard