W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xml-core-wg@w3.org > February 2005

Agenda for XML Core WG telcon of 2005 February 23

From: Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 16:18:39 -0500
Message-ID: <F13E1BF26B19BA40AF3C0DE7D4DA0C03034540DE@ati-mail01.arbortext.local>
To: <public-xml-core-wg@w3.org>


We have an XML Core WG phone call scheduled for Wednesday, 
February 23, from
          08:00-09:00 Pacific time aka
          11:00-12:00 Eastern time aka
          16:00-17:00 UTC
          16:00-17:00 in Ireland and the UK
          17:00-18:00 in middle (most of) Europe
on the Zakim W3C Bridge, +1 617 761 6200, passcode 9652#.
We also use IRC channel #xmlcore on irc.w3.org:6665 .

See the XML Core group page [1] for pointers to current documents
and other information.  If you have additions to the agenda, please
email them to the WG list before the start of the telcon.

Please also review our group page's task list [2] for accuracy and
completeness and be prepared to amend if necessary and accept it
at the beginning of the call.

Agenda
======
1. Accepting the minutes from the last telcon [3] and
   the current task status [2] (have any questions, comments,
   or corrections ready by the beginning of the call).


2. Miscellaneous administrivia.

The next W3C Technical Plenary Week will be 28 February 2005
through 4 March 2005:
     http://www.w3.org/2002/09/TPOverview.html
     http://www.w3.org/2004/12/allgroupoverview.html 

The XML Core WG f2f meeting days will be Thursday and Friday, 
March 3rd and 4th.  Wednesday is the Plenary day to which all
XML Core WG members are invited.

Register for the meeting at: 
http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35125/TP2005/

Register at the hotel: 
http://www.w3.org/2004/12/allgroupoverview.html#Venue. 
The negotiated room rate at the meeting hotel, Hyatt Harborside, 
http://harborside.hyatt.com/property/index.jhtml is $139 (plus 
12.45% tax); this discount rate expires 5 February 2005.

We have a meeting time with the TAG on Thursday 11:00-12:30.
We might find ourselves discussing "XML 2.0".

We will NOT be having our usual Wednesday telcon next week.


3.  XLink update.

Our WG Note "Extending XLink 1.0" has been published:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/NOTE-xlink10-ext-20050127/

A charter modification has gone to the AC:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ac-members/2005JanMar/0036


4. XML errata.  The published 1.0 errata document is [8], the
   published 1.1 errata document is [9], and the NEW PUBLIC
   Potential Errata (PE) document is [7]. 


5. Namespaces in XML.

  Ongoing ACTION to Richard:  Produce a draft for NS1.0 2nd Ed.

Paul checked with W3C folks about whether we can
fold editorial errata from 1.1 back into 1.0 2nd Ed
and our plan is acceptable:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2004Nov/0041

Richard pointed out a namespace comment at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-names-editor/2004Dec/0000
which requests something which is almost a different kind of schema.

ACTION to Richard:  Send email outlining the issue and your suggested
resolution.


6. Xinclude Rec was published 2004 December 30 at:
   http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xinclude-20041220/

It has been brought to my attention that we apparently failed
to look at the public XInclude comments list for comments
received during the PR review which is basically the October
archives for this list:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-xinclude-comments/2004Oct/
We will treat these are errata.  

DV volunteers to be editor of the XInclude errata process.

ACTION to DV:  Create a PE document for XInclude.


7. xml:id.

The CR was published (2005 Feb 8) at
http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/CR-xml-id-20050208/

The (public) xml:id LC issues is at:
http://www.w3.org/XML/2004/xml-id/lc-status/status-report.html
The LC DoC is at:
http://www.w3.org/XML/2005/01/xml-id-lc-doc.html
Our implementation report is at
http://www.w3.org/XML/2005/01/xml-id-implementation.html
We have a test suite cover page at
http://www.w3.org/XML/Test/xml-id/

The issue of xml:id vrs C14N and the definition of
namespaces is ongoing, originally in the xml:id 
comments list and now on the www-tag list.  It seems
likely that the TAG will pick up some issue out of this.

Norm has asked for this topic to be on the TAG's telcon
this week (Tuesday afternoon).

Norm will need to do some work on the test suite.


8.  Associating stylesheets
    We have had several requests to issue some clarifications
    on use of fragment identifiers in URIs to referenced
    stylesheets:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2005Feb/0022
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2005Feb/0030

We discussed that the resource should be retrieved per
the URI (not counting the frag id), then any frag id would
be interpreted according to the type of the retrieved resource
to produce what the SS PI refers to.  Then, the application
using the SS PI may look at the type pseudo-attribute to
help it how to interpret the returned (sub-)resource.

Norm: frag id are interpreted by the mime type sent back
by the server (so the type pseudo-att is ignored until
whatever (sub-)resource is returned and determined).

The SS spec could say what to do for various type's
(including what might be acceptable/erroneous).

[The replacement to RFC 2396 is 3986.]

We had general CONSENSUS to do something to clarify
the SS spec.

John thinks we can do this by issuing a clarificatory 
erratum.  Paul tends to agree, though done in coordination
with the HTML/CSS WGs.  Henry is less sure, and wants to 
know more about what the HTML CG thinks.  The problem is
that the HTML spec "defines" the semantics of the type
attribute, but we want the SS spec to do so.

John says we should deprecate the charset pseudo-attr
of the SS PI while we're at it.

Paul raised this issue with the XML CG and Chris Lilley
is acting as the XML Activity liaison with the Hypertext
CG group.  There has already been some discussion:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-xml-cg/2005Feb/0036 ff


9.  absolutivity of [base URI]
    Norm has asked a question about the absolutivity of [base URI]:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2005Feb/0031

Norm thinks we should make an erratum to the infoset spec
that says that the [base URI] is always absolute (unless
there is no absolute [base URI] at all for the resource).

XML Base bullet point 1 in 4.2 isn't clear enough.
The second bullet of 4.3 does help.

John interprets 5.1 of RFC 2396 to say that base-URIs
are absolute, but Paul doesn't agree that this is clear.

We have CONSENSUS that the [base URI] is always absolute.

We have CONSENSUS to make a clarificatory erratum to the 
Infoset that indicates that [base URI] should always be
absolute (unless it's impossible).  

Henry thought we needed to allow frag ids in [base URI].
Henry sent email on this at:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2005Feb/0052


10. XML 1.1 and C1 control characters
    Norm has raised a question about the need to escape C1 control
    characters in XML 1.1 (which is backward incompatible with XML 1.0):
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2005Feb/0033 

There was some email discussion at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2005Feb/0054 ff


paul

[1] http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core
[2] http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#tasks
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2005Feb/0051
[7]
http://www.w3.org/XML/2004/02/proposed-xml10-3e-and-xml11-errata.html
[8] http://www.w3.org/XML/xml-V10-3e-errata
[9] http://www.w3.org/XML/xml-V11-1e-errata
Received on Monday, 21 February 2005 21:20:39 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:21:32 GMT