[XHTML2] INS, DEL, and MOD

From: Gregory J. Rosmaita <oedipus@hicom.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 22:07:44 +0000
To: Tina Holmboe <tina@greytower.net>, public-xhtml2@w3.org
Cc: Christophe Strobbe <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>, rob@robburns.com

aloha, tina!

i cannot find our exchange on INS, DEL and my proposal for MOD

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/xhtml2/wiki/ProposedElements/MOD

but i do remember your asking me, "INS and DEL are nicely binary. Either
it is, or it isn't. What is MOD?", so here is an attempt to answer your
question with an example of the type of ambiguity a strict binary change
marker can cause...

the reason why i suggested MOD was to cover situations which frequently
occur in online collaborative work, such as that contained in the
following (brief) threads from wai-xtech:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/2009Jan/thread.html#msg55

and

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/2009Jan/thread.html#msg58

in this exchange, there was confusion and ambiguity between what was
deleted and what had been inserted and what had been modified, when,
by whom, and why

that's why i also considered reducing the change marking element to a
single element, such as MOD or CHANGE, with defined types and/or roles,
which can cover any and all conceivable cases...

gregory.
CONSERVATIVE, n.  A statesman who is enamored of existing evils,
as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them
with others.         -- Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_
             Gregory J. Rosmaita, oedipus@hicom.net