RE: [URW3 public] OWL extensions [was Re: [URW3] ... three questions based on the last telecon]

Yes I agree that this is a major advantage. But still there are many issues
to be resolved:

1) Is it possible to capture all ingredients of uncertainty (lets ground on
fuzziness): Can you use the above method to capture the following ontology:
C(a)=0.9, D(a)=0.8, R(a,b)=0.6? (Oh, I would be grateful if you could use a
more "standardized" syntax like RDF/XML, OWL abstract syntax or even DL
syntax).

2) Is it possible to create such a CORE ontology for any type of
uncertainty? These capital letters you used below for the word "CORE", just
reminded me of the multimedia analogy. So (as you know) in the semantic
multimedia realm people are using such an approach to create a CORE
multimedia ontology for semantic annotation and since 1999 about a dozen of
proposals have been created, of course without any solution yet. Even more
some people are taking this approach even further and are using OWL
AnnotationProperties for their job (like CIDOC). So we can also use comments
properties <rdfs:label>Young;LeftShoulder;20;30</rdfs:label>.

3) If such ontology is possible will it be usable in practice?

4) Logically speaking such an approach is not...logical. For example RIF WG
has created a rules ontology (in OWL) but still this ontology is not used to
write rules per se.

So everything has to be investigated further. At this point the extensions
we have proposed for fuzzy-OWL have worked fine so unless convinced
otherwise (by a complete and up and running approach) I will be in favour of
(lightweight) extensions.

Cheers,
-gstoil