Re: [URW3 public] OWL extensions [was Re: [URW3] ... three questions based on the last telecon]

This is precisely the choice faced by implementers of logic
programming + uncertainty languages .... you can extend the language
and the inference mechanism or express and process the uncertainty
within the standard language.

tall(John) : 0.7

vs

tall(John, 0.7)

(... in both cases, without saying what 0.7 represents)

The former approach gives you more control, reduces to "standard"
notation when the uncertainty is omitted and (I think) makes the
semantics clearer;
the latter involves no change to existing notation (hence is easier
to  sell ) but gets messy when only some of the representation
requires the uncertainty and obscures the meaning of the annotation.

Trevor

(PS apologies for the fact that I have been quiet so far, fuzz-ieee
next week has taken a lot more of my time than expected)

--
  Artificial Intelligence Group             ||    Phone: +44 117 928