Re: Firefox usability data on Location Bar

From: Mike Beltzner <beltzner@mozilla.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 02:13:31 -0400
Cc: <public-wsc-wg@w3.org>
To: "Close, Tyler J." <tyler.close@hp.com>

On 4-Apr-07, at 12:59 PM, Close, Tyler J. wrote:

> don't see a link to that data. You also mentioned a statistic like 40%
> of navigation happens through typed in URLs. Could you get us some
> more
> and more specific data?

It's hard to find direct cites for this, sadly, but I know I read it
somewhere once. I can find you cites that estimate that 10-15 percent
of search engine profits come from type in traffic [1] though. This
type of data is hard to find, and harder to measure.

Anecdotally, we know that users are typing directly into the URL bar.
Most of the time it's to search, but a lot of the time it's to go to
a web address they've seen in an advertisement or on a billboard.

> The Goals section for this page also seems relevant to our
> recommendations and Note. See:

Yeah, there's a lot of overlap. As I mentioned at the last face to
face meeting, we're experimenting with several ideas. I think
LocationBar^2 has some legs.

cheers,
mike

[1]: http://money.cnn.com/2005/11/30/technology/domains_biz20_1205/