NEW ISSUE: Action defaults don't work with URNs.

From: Jonathan Marsh <jmarsh@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 12:37:08 -0800
To: <public-ws-addressing@w3.org>

There is a potential problem in the Action defaulting algorithm we've
selected.  It works great for http: URIs as the namespace, and continues
the http hierarchy by adding new path components separated by slashes.

However, slash isn't allowed as a path component by all URI schemes.
Notably, URNs don't allow slash as far as I can tell, and you often see
paths delimited by ":" instead.  If a URN is used as a targetNamespace
(which seems reasonable, though we can argue whether this trend will
wither or flourish), you might end up with a default Action like:

   urn:com:microsoft:schemas:thisWsdl/dohicky/sendMoneyRequest

which is a bad URN.

Some possible solutions:

a) Note in the spec that the default algorithm doesn't work for
   urn: targetNamespaces, and an explicit value must be specified
   in this case.
b) Redo the algorithm replacing \ with ; (or similar) that is
   acceptable to both http and urn URI schemes.
c) Adjust the default algorithm to use : as a separator for urns,
   retain \ for all other URI schemes.

My two cents is that option c is the most complex to spec and to
implement, but the most user-friendly in that you get a clean default
when using http: (the most common case today), but you don't silently
get garbage when using urn:.

URI: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt
URN: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2141.txt