RE: NEW ISSUE: Action defaults don't work with URNs.

From: Savas Parastatidis <Savas.Parastatidis@newcastle.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 22:20:21 -0000
To: "Mark Baker" <distobj@acm.org>, <public-ws-addressing@w3.org>

> Yes, this is generally regarded as a bug with URNs; that they don't
> use the hierarchical capabilities of the generic URI syntax to denote
> hierarchy.  I personally don't think it's worth introducing a lot of
> complexity to accomodate a broken and little-used (not to mention
> non-dereferencable) URI scheme, and so would personally opt for option
> "a".  YMMV, of course.

I personally don't think that a name or identity has to be
dereferencable. The Life Sciences and Astronomy communities use URNs to
uniquely identify resources/entities without the need to dereference
them. They require an indirection from a globally unique name to a
protocol-specific address and I think this is better than being coupled
with a specific protocol technology.

But we are going off-topic :-)

Regards,
.savas.