W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-wot-ig@w3.org > April 2018

[wot-test] minutes - 25 April 2018

From: Kazuyuki Ashimura <ashimura@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 07:13:15 +0900
Message-ID: <CAJ8iq9UpVHQXNR3mwcRqz1r+AOrOCMW1SCLqMW7-CTVzyJvQ_Q@mail.gmail.com>
To: Public Web of Things IG <public-wot-ig@w3.org>, public-wot-wg@w3.org
available at:
 https://www.w3.org/2018/04/25-wot-test-minutes.html

also as text below.

I've just created a wiki page for the WoT Test TF at:
  https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/Test_WebConf
as we discussed during the call.

Thanks,

Kazuyuki

---

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

                                WoT Test

25 Apr 2018

Attendees

   Present
          Kaz_Ashimura, Michael_McCool, Ege_Korekan,
          Michael_Koster, Michael_Lagally, Taki_Kamiya,
          Toru_Kawaguchi, Takeshi_Yamada

   Regrets
          Matthias_Kovatsch

   Chair
          McCool

   Scribe
          kaz

Contents

     * [2]Topics
         1. [3]Test Logistics
     * [4]Summary of Action Items
     * [5]Summary of Resolutions
     __________________________________________________________

   <scribe> scribenick: kaz

   McCool: Testing logistics first

Test Logistics

   McCool: testing is IG thing or WG thing?
   ... deliverables to be tested are WG ones
   ... but no IP issue for testing itself
   ... for now self-organized
   ... regular meeting at this time
   ... put a lot of stuff on GitHub
   ... create a wiki page?

   Kaz: W3C wiki or GitHub wiki?

   McCool: already have plugfest meeting, security meeting, etc.
   ... so should add a wiki page for the Testing TF

   Kaz: will copy plugfest wiki page and create one for testing

   McCool: and we can put agenda on that page for the next call
   ... (goes through the Testing and Validation)
   ... need to add this to ...

   [6]Testing and Validation

      [6] https://github.com/w3c/wot/tree/master/testing

   McCool: conformance mechanism
   ... investigate spec tracking tools
   ... the other thing
   ... including the conformance blocks

   [7]TODO.md

      [7] https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/master/testing/todo.md

   Lagally: checking tools
   ... internal tools
   ... and also for JAVA documentation
   ... Kaz gave a link on Web Test Platform

   <mlagally_> [8]https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests

      [8] https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests

   Kaz: testing platform for Web browsers

   McCool: would capture this kind of resources on the resource.md
   file

   Lagally: another setting with working instance, node-wot, etc.

   McCool: different categories
   ... would record for investigation

   Lagally: general test guideline
   ... also test harness
   ... not really sure how applicable

   McCool: somebody to dig into this

   Kaz: have already mentioned the basic mechanism
   ... somebody wants to investigate too?

   McCool: what about web service testing?

   <mlagally_> Lagally: I don't have bandwidth

   McCool: SOAP test, etc.

   Ege: test for web platform?
   ... API testing?

   McCool: we have Scripting API

   <mlagally_> I have to drop off

   McCool: that's probably related
   ... there is JSON validation tool
   ... also JSON-LD validation tool
   ... we should get volunteers to investigate those tools
   ... if the Scripting API spec says some feature, we should have
   some way to check it
   ... Scripting API validation (from WebIDL?)
   ... TD guys some view for JSON validation tool
   ... correct resources here
   ... we need GitHub site

   Ege: for Web Service tools
   ... validation, etc.

   McCool: possibly several tools to check different parts
   ... we should use tools if they make sense

   Ege: I've not used tools
   ... TD already uses some configuration
   ... we already have JSON validation
   ... we can choose necessary tools
   ... to validate things

   McCool: ok
   ... can work with students?

   Ege: can give some task about JSON-related and Web
   service-related ones

   McCool: that's fine
   ... let me capture that here
   ... network interface
   ... we have scripting interface
   ... another topic
   ... updating specs with clear normative assertions
   ... this needs to happen
   ... see appmanifest spec

   [9]https://www.w3.org/TR/appmanifest/#conformance

      [9] https://www.w3.org/TR/appmanifest/#conformance

   McCool: use this terminology
   ... MAY, MUST, SHOULD, etc.
   ... online style testing
   ... created a page

   [10]online.md

     [10] https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/master/testing/online.md

   McCool: people need to make their services up and running
   ... in a secure fashion
   ... we distribute WebEx password to the Member list
   ... so should be reasonable to send the password for this kind
   of online testing mechanisms ot the Member list

   Kaz: +1

   McCool: we need some type of security
   ... even basic authentication is better than nothing
   ... basic authentication and digest authentication
   ... wiki in place
   ... describe the credential separately

   Kaz: will you send the credential to the Member list?

   McCool: maybe just to you?
   ... can we set up a separate credential group?

   Kaz: we can create a separate DB group for that purpose

   McCool: should we have an authentication server?
   ... may use some standard password

   Kaz: can ask TAG, CSS WG, etc.

   McCool: ok
   ... also have TDs
   ... any comments?

   Kaz: Oracle Cloud might be also useful as part of this effort

   McCool: we need both servers and clients

   Kaz: right

   McCool: probably would do opensource framework
   ... anything else?

   Ege: test suite to expose things
   ... what is the deadline?

   McCool: for testing tools?

   Ege: my students may work on that

   McCool: we need a plan for testing
   ... we don't need to wait these items on the list
   ... before starting other topics

   [11]Plan

     [11] https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/master/testing/plan.md

   Ege: we can start right now?
   ... validating Thing according to the TD

   McCool: interesting
   ... we have normative spec for TD
   ... we actually validate both the TDs and Things
   ... what is your tooling for that?

   Ege: command line tool
   ... output data is some string
   ... shows an error if any problem
   ... Thing behind TD
   ... TD itself doesn't validate Things

   McCool: the goal is some kind of automatic validation

   Ege: can send you a document
   ... via WebEx?

   McCool: uploading under Testing would make sense
   ... should capture how those tools work
   ... can add hyperlinks to the tools section
   ... authentication can be handled by a proxy
   ... do you want to edit this page?

   Ege: can do

   McCool: any more points?
   ... would emphasize that resources will be online
   ... collection of test cases
   ... work on the rest of the plan
   ... will get a wiki page set-up
   ... put agenda on that page
   ... would assume this slot works for you all
   ... set up online things
   ... and distribute authentication information
   ... anything else for today?
   ... one thing for next week
   ... test description template
   ... will put it on the agenda
   ... what the test description should look like
   ... btw, TPS report stands for
   ... test procedure specification

   <McCool_> [12]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TPS_report

     [12] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TPS_report

   [adjourned]

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [13]scribe.perl version
    1.152 ([14]CVS log)
    $Date: 2018/04/26 20:28:03 $

     [13] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [14] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Thursday, 26 April 2018 22:14:29 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Thursday, 26 April 2018 22:14:29 UTC