Re: [Agenda] WebCGM telecon: Thursday, 29 November 2007

Okay, I think we're on the same page.

One additional comment in line...

At 06:50 PM 11/29/2007 +0100, Thierry Michel wrote:
> [...]
>>>Activity charters: WebCGM and SVG
>>>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ac-members/2007OctDec/0041.html
>>>
>>>Once our charter is finalized, we will submit it to W3M and then to ACs
>>>for review (Usual W3C process).
>>>
>>>In parallel (if needed) we should work on this annex as mentioned in
>>>Section 5 of the Mou [1].
>>>
>>>"OASIS and W3C reserve the right to employ the process and agreement
>>>established with this MoU for future versions of WebCGM, by providing an
>>>annex with the reserved name and version, signed by the President of
>>>OASIS and W3C's chairman or Chief Operating Officer."
>>Will that annex be anything more than one sentence, specifying the
>>project along with the reserved name and version?
>
>I have no idea, I have never experience this process and I am not sure
>anyone else has in W3C.
>I guess Chris should give advise here.
>Also I am not sure if we need to involve Rigo, I think he was involve in
>the Mou.
>
>>When do we anticipate that we should start this process step, to get the
>>signatures on such a simple annex?
>
>I guess this can be done in parallel with the charter renewal review.
>>
>>>We will use the same process as for WebCGM 2.1 (a part that there will
>>>be no submission to W3C. The work will be done jointly with OASIS and
>>>there will a W3C first Working Draft by 15 April 2008, followed with a
>>>Last Call WD by 01 July 2008 from an initial OASIS Committee Draft.
>>Here I have a substantive question/comment.
>>At our last teleconference, we decided that the 15 April "heartbeat"
>>milestone should not be a W3C WD, but rather a "status report".
>>Reason:  as with 2.0, the OASIS TC is doing the initial work, and will
>>not likely be finished by then.
>
>OK.
>>So this raises the same question of coordination that Chris and I dealt
>>with for 2.0.  The TC and the WG should *NOT* try to do technical
>>development on the spec in parallel.  As with 2.0, it would be nearly
>>impossible for both groups to work at the same time and coordinate their
>>changes -- i.e., it would be chaotic to try to feed each group's resolved
>>changes over to the other group, while the other group is going through
>>its process trying to effect its own changes.
>
>OK.
>>Therefore for 2.0 we did this:  TC works for a while and brings the spec
>>to some level of maturity (like LC).  Then WG begins work, TC
>>"hibernates" and does not work on technical spec development (could work
>>on test suite, etc), and the WG brings the spec through CR to the stage
>>of PR.  Then both groups take the spec simultaneously through their last
>>respective process steps.
>>This worked smoothly for 2.0.  This is what I anticipate for 2.1.  Is
>>this what you had in mind?
>
>Yes it is. As I said in my previous email, we should adopt the same
>process as we have done with 2.0. (apart from the Submission to W3C).

We talked about this a little bit on the morning telecon.  None of us quite
understands how the work, started in the TC, comes into the WG without a
Submission.

Chris can probably clarify this also.

Regards,
-Lofton.