Re: HTML Imports and CSP

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 3:01 PM Devdatta Akhawe <dev.akhawe@gmail.com> wrote:

> fwiw, I also understood the proposal as a separate directive and then
> if that directive allow unsafe-inline, then the HTML import is allowed
> to do all the unsafe things it wants. I agree with Brad that we
> shouldn't allow imports to use inline scripts without an explicit
> opt-in by the global page (or via nonces passed in to the import)

That was  #6 in my original email, so I guess I was suggesting that as an
"additional" option. For example, we might have:
   import-src: https://www.polymer-project.org
   import-policy: 'nonce-1234'
   (or maybe import-policy: 'unsafe-inline')
And we could make the default import-policy strict-by-default if you have
an import-src.

> On 7 April 2015 at 16:43, Brad Hill <hillbrad@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Except it's not the case that "anything goes" once you import a script.
> > e.g. if I want to use ReCaptcha, though that's just:
> >
> > <script src='https://www.google.com/recaptcha/api.js'></script>
> >
> > But I need the following CSP whitelists for my page to actually satisfy
> its
> > dependencies:
> >
> > script-src https://www.google.com/recaptcha/
> > https://www.gstatic.com/recaptcha/ https://apis.google.com/js/
> > https://apis.google.com/_/; frame-src https://www.google.com/recaptcha/;
> > style-src 'unsafe-inline'
> >
> > There's the argument that script-src makes the page totally untrustworthy
> > anyway - but we are about to work on additions to CSP for use as a
> > confinement mechanism, too, which this would totally invalidate.

Can you elaborate? Which mechanisms and how would they totally invalidate
this?

> > Encapsulation is great, but it has to go both ways.  If we allow a
> component
> > to hide its internals from the enclosing page AND also not inherit the
> > security policy of that page - but without being isolated from it - we've
> > not just reinvented the security issues of doing widgets as <script>
> > includes, we've actually made things worse.

It seems like there's a middle ground, which is once a module "touches" the
outer page, it's subject to the page's policy. Additionally, we can say the
module's CSP only applies at Document load or something, then the page's
CSP applies. I'm just spit balling here.

I think that this doesn't differ all that much from what we do with
extensions with Chrome when they inject scripts into a page. At that point,
we say "when the script initially runs, we'll allow it to bypass the CSP of
the page, but we won't do anything beyond that (e.g. in callbacks)".

> > I think it's reasonable to say that if a component is not self-contained,
> > it's not actually fully encapsulated, and needs to declare its external
> > dependencies for CSP compatibility, which is the same model we have for
> > script-src.

I think we're already seeing that this is a huge burden, perhaps
impossible, especially with recursive modules or dynamically imported
modules. Your script-src example is interesting to me, because that already
is 'hard' to deal with, to my understanding, and I might even consider it a
failure of CSP. And with HTML imports, we're talking about a much, much
longer list of things to whitelist.

So I would argue that this is saying, if the import developer doesn't
present you with a whitelist of content to add to your CSP, you very well
may not be able to use CSP at all for *your* document, and making
developers choose between using CSP and using HTML imports is the worst of
all worlds (and this is a battle we'll lose). Reporting is great, but it
only goes so far, especially if modules change in the future.

And, ultimately, this is sort of what the idea of a module giving it's own
policy is, it just means that the outer document isn't managing it (other
than perhaps some coarse grained controls as I suggested above).