Re: CfC to publish a FPWD of Credential Management; ending April 17th.

On 04/10/2015 04:21 PM, Mike West wrote:
> Well, wait no longer! This is a real call for consensus to publish
> the following draft of "Credential Management" as a First Public
> Working Draft:

-1, the spec completely ignores the very substantial work going on in
the Credentials CG and the Web Payments IG that is related to the API
you're proposing.

The API you're proposing would create a major barrier for the work
across the Web Payments IG, the Credentials CG, and the proposed
Credentials WG.

Mike, we've reached out to you multiple times (both publicly[1] and
privately) to try and coordinate this work and are still waiting for you
to engage.

I suggest you take a look at this:

Open Credentials Executive Summary
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Nq543-Am1hQUIZ2hhzAFl8KexvIEBwDDc_f3Ikz1opQ/edit

and the list of organizations we're trying to pull into the work:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1u0DC4U7jAayv1IvOY2qu7nMRtiFOPxwCT3BkPJek5ho/edit

If WebAppSec publishes a FPWD without understanding the requirements and
use cases we've gathered from a number of these organizations, or the
political climate around what you're proposing, it's going to endanger
launching a number of the Web Payments WGs and the Credentials WG at W3C.

If WebAppSec moves forward with a FPWD, it will be met with a number of
formal objections by the aforementioned organizations.

I suggest the Web AppSec Chairs start coordinating w/ the Web Payments
IG and the Credentials CG before proposing the publication of this FPWD.

-- manu

[1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webappsec/2014Oct/0135.html

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.