Re: Overview of W3C technologies for mobile Web applications

Hi Dom,

On May/12/2011 4:41 AM, ext Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
> Le jeudi 24 février 2011 à 16:03 +0100, Dominique Hazael-Massieux a
> écrit :
>> As part of a European research project I'm involved in [1], I've
>> compiled a report on the existing technologies in development (or in
>> discussion) at W3C for building Web applications and that are
>> particularly relevant on mobile devices:
>> http://www.w3.org/2011/02/mobile-web-app-state.html
>> [...]
>> I can also look into moving it in a place where a larger community could
>> edit it (dvcs.w3.org, or www.w3.org/wiki/ for instance) if anyone is
>> interested in contributing.
> Since I've received at least one offer to help keeping the page up to
> date if moved to a wiki, I've moved a copy of the document above to the
> wiki page at
> http://www.w3.org/wiki/Standards_for_Web_Applications_on_Mobile
>
> In the upcoming two weeks, I'll bring a number of updates to the
> document for a new stable release at this of the month. Any help in
> bringing the document up to date will be very welcomed!

Thanks for creating this Dom (FYI, I made some edits and updates yesterday).

Re the overall positioning and scope of the document, it seems like the
document would be more useful if it was positioned more generally as a
survey of "Standards for Web Applications". The definition of mobile, in
the context of devices, changes rapidly and it wasn't so long ago that
mobile devices meant monochrome phones running a WAP stack. If any of
the specs used for Web applications have particularly relevant mobile
characteristics/constraints, that could be documented in a new
"Mobile/Mobility" column.

-ArtB