Re: Overview of W3C technologies for mobile Web applications

On 5/13/11 6:19 PM, Arthur Barstow wrote:
> Hi Dom,
>
> On May/12/2011 4:41 AM, ext Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
>> Le jeudi 24 février 2011 à 16:03 +0100, Dominique Hazael-Massieux a
>> écrit :
>>> As part of a European research project I'm involved in [1], I've
>>> compiled a report on the existing technologies in development (or in
>>> discussion) at W3C for building Web applications and that are
>>> particularly relevant on mobile devices:
>>> http://www.w3.org/2011/02/mobile-web-app-state.html
>>> [...]
>>> I can also look into moving it in a place where a larger community could
>>> edit it (dvcs.w3.org, or www.w3.org/wiki/ for instance) if anyone is
>>> interested in contributing.
>> Since I've received at least one offer to help keeping the page up to
>> date if moved to a wiki, I've moved a copy of the document above to the
>> wiki page at
>> http://www.w3.org/wiki/Standards_for_Web_Applications_on_Mobile
>>
>> In the upcoming two weeks, I'll bring a number of updates to the
>> document for a new stable release at this of the month. Any help in
>> bringing the document up to date will be very welcomed!
>
> Thanks for creating this Dom (FYI, I made some edits and updates
> yesterday).
>
> Re the overall positioning and scope of the document, it seems like the
> document would be more useful if it was positioned more generally as a
> survey of "Standards for Web Applications". The definition of mobile, in
> the context of devices, changes rapidly and it wasn't so long ago that
> mobile devices meant monochrome phones running a WAP stack. If any of
> the specs used for Web applications have particularly relevant mobile
> characteristics/constraints, that could be documented in a new
> "Mobile/Mobility" column.

I agree with Art.

Also, the packaging section is a little misleading. I would not say that
AppCache is some kind of packaging format: it's a way of doing cache
control (but does not package anything).

I have updated some widget-related bits...