From: Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 19:55:32 +0200
To: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
CC: johnnyg@google.com
Hi all,

some random comments about
(I didn't know that the draft existed until the link was mentioned
  in an email to @whatwg mailing list :/ )

NotificationCenter is a bit strange. Why do we need
a separate interface for this?
I'd rather added createNotification to window object,
or to .screen.

createNotification and createHTMLNotification could be
merged. Based on the parameters UA could create
a bit different kinds of notifications.
Or depending on what kind of resources get loaded.

The naming should be better.

requestPermission talks about user gesture, but doesn't
define what an user gesture actually is.

If createNotification would be in
.screen or in window, then perhaps rename other methods to
and .checkNotificationPermission()
those are a bit long ones, but still shorter than

Why the need for notifications in a worker?
In which screen would the notification show up?
I would leave that out of the draft.
Worker can easily send some message to window to
ask for a notification.

How does create(HTML)Notification actually work.
At which point does it load the external resources?

At which point is "display" event dispatched?
When showing the notification? But what if the external
HTML file or icon file isn't loaded yet?

"The function provided in the callback parameter will be invoked when
the user has responded to the permission request. "
The IDL doesn't show any callback parameter.