Re: Notifications

From: John Gregg <johnnyg@google.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 11:03:18 -0800
To: Olli@pettay.fi
Cc: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>

> I will make this more specific in the draft: create[HTML]Notification
>>> should not load the necessary resources until it is about to be
>>> displayed (in case of a queue).  Once it is at the top of the queue, it
>>> should:
>>>
>>> - load its resources as if opening a new window
>>> - dispatch the display event
>>> - show itself on the screen
>>>

>> Does it wait for all the resources to load before dispatching display
>> event? What if loading resources takes lots of time?
>>
>> Since notification is pretty much like a new window, why the
>> need for new "display" event. Perhaps the event name
>> could be just usual "load".

I have no particular attachment to the name, but would prefer to be agnostic
as to the presentation for non-HTML notifications.  Leaving open the
possibility that a user-agent routes this API to a third-party text+icon
notification library, it's not a window and it's a different notion than
"load"; it's just the notification being displayed to the user.