Re: Selectors API Method Names

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 00:50:35 +0200
To: "Doug Schepers" <doug.schepers@vectoreal.com>, public-webapi <public-webapi@w3.org>

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 20:17:40 +0200, Doug Schepers
<doug.schepers@vectoreal.com> wrote:

> Hi-
>
> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>  I don't have a strong objection either way, but I think the case
>> against Lachy's original names (selectElement, etc) has been laid out
>> more clearly than the case against cssQuery. I think selectorQuery (as
>> suggested in follow-ups) would also be ok.
>
> I think that the chief problem with cssQuery*() for me is that it is
> rather confusing.  Such a name would indicate functionality related to
> CSS (that is, something presentational or style-oriented), rather than
> the accident of a historical relationship.  It totally fails the
> criteria of being functionally descriptive, which selectElement() meets
> (other merits notwithstanding); this is a point on which I think we can
> build consensus and compromise (and hopefully a speedy resolution).
>
> Similarly, with selectorQuery() (which is better), you lose the verby
> "action word" of the existing naming convention (getAByB); selectorQuery
> sounds more like a property than a method.
>
> Frankly, I'm not a fan of any of the present crop of names, but in the
> interest of keeping forward momentum, I least object to what we
> currently have, selectElement*().

Thank you Doug for so eloquently stating the details of my objection. As
it happens, I agree with you that I would rather move forward with the
consensus on selectElement*, if we establish that, than keep chasing round
for new names.

cheers

Chaals

chaals@opera.com    Catch up: Speed Dial   http://opera.com