Re: Selectors API Method Names

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 17:01:17 -0700
Cc: Doug Schepers <doug.schepers@vectoreal.com>, public-webapi <public-webapi@w3.org>
To: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>

On Jul 2, 2007, at 3:50 PM, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 20:17:40 +0200, Doug Schepers
> <doug.schepers@vectoreal.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi-
>>
>> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>>  I don't have a strong objection either way, but I think the case
>>> against Lachy's original names (selectElement, etc) has been laid
>>> out more clearly than the case against cssQuery. I think
>>> selectorQuery (as suggested in follow-ups) would also be ok.
>>
>> I think that the chief problem with cssQuery*() for me is that it
>> is rather confusing.  Such a name would indicate functionality
>> related to CSS (that is, something presentational or style-
>> oriented), rather than the accident of a historical relationship.
>> It totally fails the criteria of being functionally descriptive,
>> which selectElement() meets (other merits notwithstanding); this
>> is a point on which I think we can build consensus and compromise
>> (and hopefully a speedy resolution).
>>
>> Similarly, with selectorQuery() (which is better), you lose the
>> verby "action word" of the existing naming convention (getAByB);
>> selectorQuery sounds more like a property than a method.
>>
>> Frankly, I'm not a fan of any of the present crop of names, but in
>> the interest of keeping forward momentum, I least object to what
>> we currently have, selectElement*().
>
> Thank you Doug for so eloquently stating the details of my
> objection. As it happens, I agree with you that I would rather move
> forward with the consensus on selectElement*, if we establish that,
> than keep chasing round for new names.

I really think the confusability of this with selectNodes/
selectSingleNode is a significant problem. matchSelector  or
querySelector doesn't have this problem, and also doesn't have the
problems of cssQuery (slightly inaccurate mention of css, doesn't
sound like a verb phrase).

But I won't stand in the way of an editorial decision on this one.

Regards,
Maciej