ISSUE-47: responseText is not always accessible when readyState < 3

From: Web APIs Issue Tracker <dean+cgi@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 14:49:52 +0000 (GMT)
To: public-webapi@w3.org

ISSUE-47: responseText is not always accessible when readyState < 3

http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/webapi/issues/47

Raised by: Ian Davis
On product: XMLHttpRequest

The draft at
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2006/webapi/XMLHttpRequest/publish/XMLHttpRequest.html?rev=1.6&content-type=text/html;%20charset=iso-8859-1#idl-attr-XMLHttpRequest-responseText
 states that for responseText "If the readyState attribute has a value other
than 3 (Receiving) or 4 (Loaded), it MUST be the empty string."

I tested this in IE6/WinXP and an exception is thrown for readyStates 1 and 2:

"The data necessary to complete this operation is not yet available."

This is thrown when the responseText attribute is accessed.

I have tested FF1.5/WinXP also: this doesn't throw an exception.

Propose the draft text be changed to "If the readyState attribute has a value
other than 3 (Receiving) or 4 (Loaded), the value of responseText is not defined
and accessing the attribute may cause an error."