Re: ISSUE-47: responseText is not always accessible when readyState < 3

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 16:03:00 +0100
To: "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 15:49:52 +0100, Web APIs Issue Tracker
<dean+cgi@w3.org> wrote:
> Propose the draft text be changed to "If the readyState attribute has a
> value other than 3 (Receiving) or 4 (Loaded), the value of responseText
> is not defined and accessing the attribute may cause an error."

And what exactly do I have to implement? I think the specification should
remain unchanged as what is currently specified is a sane thing to do.
Unless of course there is some interoperability between the majority of
browsers that is different from that what is specified.

Could you please submit the testcase you created so we run it in browsers?

The above text could be used for the authoring guidelines though, I guess.
It seems important to tell people you can't currently rely on what
responseText its getter will do when readyState is not 3 or 4.