Re: Proposal for mousewheel events

From: Sjoerd Visscher <sjoerd@w3future.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 00:24:49 +0200
To: public-webapi@w3.org

Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Sjoerd Visscher wrote:
>> So, an *asynchronous* XMLHttpRequest does not block the running
>> javascript
>> thread.
>
> Correct.
>
>> But a *synchronous* call does block the running javascript thread, and
>> no redraws happen in between.
>
> The statement after the comma is false.

At least it is not visible. Except when you do things like an alert.

>> I don't think you can simply "fix" this, because you'll break the
>> single-threadedness of javascript.
>
> Single-threadedness and non-reentrancy are not the same thing, fwiw.

Ok, then I mean non-reentrancy.

> Again, everything in Firefox runs on a single thread.  "Redraws" (which
> you never defined) can happen (or at least both layout and painting can
> happen) between the mouseup and click events.

I don't want to argue about the details here. There is *something* in
Firefox that prevents layout and painting in the simple cases, which
should be good enough for doing smooth diagonal scrolling with 2
separate events.

--
Sjoerd Visscher
http://w3future.com/weblog/