Re: Proposal for mousewheel events

Sjoerd Visscher wrote:
>>> But a *synchronous* call does block the running javascript thread,
>>> and no redraws happen in between.
>>
>> The statement after the comma is false.
>
> At least it is not visible. Except when you do things like an alert.

You need a server that takes longer to respond to the XMLHttpRequest.  Try
having it take 3-4 minutes to respond and see what things look like.  ;)

>> Single-threadedness and non-reentrancy are not the same thing, fwiw.
>
> Ok, then I mean non-reentrancy.

That's already somewhat broken.  For example, I bet mouse move events can fire
during synchronous XMLHttpRequest calls.

> I don't want to argue about the details here. There is *something* in
> Firefox that prevents layout and painting in the simple cases

Other than the fact that layout and painting usually happen off events, nothing.
And there are programmatic ways to force layout to happen without an event.
Possibly also for painting if one tries hard enough.

> which should be good enough for doing smooth diagonal scrolling with 2
> separate events.

Not really, no.  At least not if you actually want it to work in general.

-Boris