Re: ISSUE-73: Are we going to support non-ECMAScript languages?

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 08:23:10 +1000
To: Web APIs WG <public-webapi@w3.org>

Maciej Stachowiak:
> I noted that the XMLHttpRequest property should be defined in the
> ECMAScript bindings to also have the [[Construct]] internal property.
> So you could write either what you said, or
>
> myXHR = new XMLHttpRequest();
>
> Which I think does add a new way to do it, but corresponds well to
> the way constructor functions work for ECMAScript built-in classes
> (they can all also be called as functions).

Mostly, but not always, resulting in some different functionality than
calling the constructor.  Opera does allow you to call XMLHttpRequest
as a function, which does the same thing as using it as a constructor.

+0, for the lack of a better way to construct the object (the cuteness
bothers me slightly).

--
 Cameron McCormack			ICQ: 26955922
 cam (at) mcc.id.au			MSN: cam (at) mcc.id.au