Re: First Public WD of XMLHttpRequest released

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 21:48:26 +0200, Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com> wrote:
> The IDL  should define .send() - no parameters, to match the prose
> description of send.

I guess I defer this to the "what IDL to use" discussion for now.

> The responseXML MUST be null if the document is not WF cannot currently
> be relied on in implementations, do you want to highlight that fact?

Not really. Would be a nice addition for the authoring guidelines I guess.

> I don't see why responseText MUST be null other than in readyState 3 or
> 4, why not undefined (e.g. if the firing of the 2 is delayed for some
> reason then data could be available) Equally MUST on 3 is incompatible
> with existing implementations.

It's never null. If the firing of the 2 is delayed, isn't that just a bug?
The "MUST on 3" is incompatible with existing implementations in what way?

> alert( ) isn't defined anywhere, traditionally print has been used as a
> dummy function in ES code.

Any pointers of its use?

> MUST for xmlEncoding seems unreasonably tight restriction, what's the
> motivation?

So how about going from:

  by data.xmlEncoding, if specified, or UTF-8 otherwise

... to:

  by data.xmlEncoding, if specified and supported, or UTF-8 otherwise

Makes some sense to me...

> "Immediately before processing the message body (if any), the readyState
> attribute MUST be set to to 3 (Receiving). "
>
> Processing the message body is unclear - does that mean XML parsing it,
> or does that mean loading it or what?

  receiving the message body

... it is...

> "UAs MAY set the Accept-Charset and Accept-Encoding headers and MUST NOT
> allow them to be overridden. "
>
> No motivation has been provided for the above restriction - I have a use
> case in accessibility repair tools where the error is only in a
> particular encoding, I want to be able to recreate the request that
> gives that encoding, thus I need to be able to change Q-values.

Responded to this one already. In addition, we now have an open issue on
it.