Re: First Public WD of XMLHttpRequest released

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 20:48:26 +0100
To: "Public Web API" <public-webapi@w3.org>

"Robin Berjon" <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
>   latest version: http://www.w3.org/TR/XMLHttpRequest/
>   this version: http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-XMLHttpRequest-20060405/
>
> Many thanks to the editors Anne and Dean, to the participants in the  WG,
> and to you guys for all the hard work and good discussion.

Good work people!  A few questions:

The IDL  should define .send() - no parameters, to match the prose
description of send.

The responseXML MUST be null if the document is not WF cannot currently be
relied on in implementations, do you want to highlight that fact?

I don't see why responseText MUST be null other than in readyState 3 or 4,
why not undefined (e.g. if the firing of the 2 is delayed for some reason
then data could be available) Equally MUST on 3 is incompatible with
existing implementations.

alert( ) isn't defined anywhere, traditionally print has been used as a
dummy function in ES code.

MUST for xmlEncoding seems unreasonably tight restriction, what's the
motivation?

"Immediately before processing the message body (if any), the readyState
attribute MUST be set to to 3 (Receiving). "

Processing the message body is unclear - does that mean XML parsing it, or
does that mean loading it or what?

"UAs MAY set the Accept-Charset and Accept-Encoding headers and MUST NOT
allow them to be overridden. "

No motivation has been provided for the above restriction - I have a use
case in accessibility repair tools where the error is only in a particular
encoding, I want to be able to recreate the request that gives that
encoding, thus I need to be able to change Q-values.

Cheers,

Jim.