Re: First Public WD of XMLHttpRequest released

From: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 23:35:10 +0200
Cc: "Public Web API" <public-webapi@w3.org>
To: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>

On Apr 05, 2006, at 21:48, Jim Ley wrote:
> The responseXML MUST be null if the document is not WF cannot
> currently be relied on in implementations, do you want to highlight
> that fact?

I think that we agreed that that behaviour was a bug and that we
really should be encouraging null. I guess that flagging what
implementations do might depend on how soon the bug is fixed.

> MUST for xmlEncoding seems unreasonably tight restriction, what's
> the motivation?

Agreed.

> "Immediately before processing the message body (if any), the
> readyState attribute MUST be set to to 3 (Receiving). "
> Processing the message body is unclear - does that mean XML parsing
> it, or does that mean loading it or what?

Actually, what we said at the f2f was "immediately after having read
the headers" (i.e. hit the \n\n) which is simpler and also means that
we have defined behaviour for HEAD and other disembodied, err,
bodiless responses.

--
Robin Berjon
    Senior Research Scientist