From: public-web-plugins-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-web-plugins-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Hector Santos
Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2003 2:23 PM
To: public-web-plugins@w3.org
Subject: Prior Art

I'm from the old school when Patents were REAL patents.   I've been
complacent over the years, the laws have changed in recent years and I'm
just catching up with it now.   It seems to me that software patents are
just rehashed ideas from existing systems.  Nonetheless, please help
here
and tell me how wrong I am, whether there is sufficient prior art or I'm
in
trouble!

In regards with this particular patent 5,838,906, "Distributed
hypermedia
method for automatically invoking external application providing
interaction
and display of embedded objects within a hypermedia document", I want to
see
how much this patent encapsulates other similar ideas already in place.
This patent was filed on October 17, 1994 and issued on November 17,
1998.

I've been in the BBS and telecommunication market since 1982,  so many
ideas
of remote client/server computing have come across my plate one way or
another.