Re: UPnP service implementing an intent

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Jean-Claude Dufourd
<jean-claude.dufourd@telecom-paristech.fr> wrote:
> Thanks for that sentence, now I think I got it:

> Web Intents does not provide a discovery mechanism.

Well, using my outline of deliverables [1], there will probably be a
basic way for Web User Agents to Discover web based Partner Providers
(§1-B), but it doesn't have to be the only mechanism.

> Web Intents provides a registry and broker mechanism.

This is absolutely the case (§1-C).

> So if another technology provides a discovery mechanism (e.g. the UPnP
> service broadcast announcement, SSDP) and some entity implements the
> adaptation from SSDP to intent registration,

Right, this is certainly my hope (that people in the e.g. UPnP space
provide this).

> the Web Intents can be used as
> the interface from web apps to services discovered with the other
> technology.

Correct (§1-C/D)

> All my confusion (shared by others I believe) came from trying to understand
> how Web Intents provided discovery, which was hopeless :)

Sorry, it does provide *a* mechanism for Discovery of /some/ services,
but the point is that it wasn't going to limit that to the only one,
and that other ways to be Discovered could be provided.

This should have been covered in the DAP minutes [2]. But it seems
that since I was tossing around the example, not everything that I
said was scribed and so it must have gone past people.

The point was that UAs could provide other mechanisms for adding
intents, and extensions could add intents, and vendors could
prepopulate intents, etc.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-intents/2011Nov/0010.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2011Nov/att-0177/minutes-2011-11-03.html#item21