From: Greg Billock <gbillock@google.com<mailto:gbillock@google.com>>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 11:17:16 -0700
To: James Hawkins <jhawkins@chromium.org<mailto:jhawkins@chromium.org>>
Cc: Jean-Claude Dufourd <jean-claude.dufourd@telecom-paristech.fr<mailto:jean-claude.dufourd@telecom-paristech.fr>>, "public-web-intents@w3.org<mailto:public-web-intents@w3.org>" <public-web-intents@w3.org<mailto:public-web-intents@w3.org>>
Subject: Re: UPnP service implementing an intent

Web Intents as an API is a way for clients to request particular functions of generic services and receive replies (or, viewed the other way, for services to receive requests from arbitrary clients and provide replies).

There's a mechanism in our proposal for web pages to indicate to the browser that they can service intents, but that is not the limit of what entities could participate in the ecosystem. It is equally possible for the browser to provide built-in services or for those services to be registered by and handled by OS-resident applications.

I don't have a firm grasp on the scope of the use cases for home networking discovery, but the intents API would be sufficient to, for example, send a request to a particular piece of attached equipment and get a response.

Example use case:
A web app wanted to play a song; it could prepare an intent payload with the song and issue a "play" intent.

navigator.startActivity(new Intent("play", "audio/mp3", song));

The browser consults its UPNP directory (I know nothing about how that works, but presumably the browser could keep track of registered attached devices and their capabilities.) It finds two devices that know how to play MP3s and presents the user with a picker. The user chooses to play the song on one of them, and the song plays.

I'm sure this simple example doesn't capture the full scope of the problem. Perhaps it shows why there is hope the problems are related, though?