Re: [tvprofile] First call of the TV profile TF

Web&TV Folks:

I had a last-minte conflict and cannot attend the first call. Here's some comments on the document:

Overall: This is a great start, generally in the right direction. Thanks to Giuseppe for putting in so much effort here.

1. Additional key design goal: Cross-device content. Our main W3C TV Profile goal is to be able to author content that can target across PC, mobile, TV and other devices. This means a few things are critical:
- Define a base feature set that works across browsers on PC, mobile, TV and other devices.
- Include mechanisms to make content work across these devices (e.g. devices may have only one of: remote control, keyboard or touch screen)

2. Widgets: I don't support the TV Profile mandating ("shall support") W3C Widgets because widgets don't have sufficient cross-device/cross-browser support. The HTML5 Offline Web applications requirements are sufficient for our needs.

3. CSS: I expect we'll need considerably more CSS specified. For example, we need to include a base requirement for all of CSS 2.1 before we can add individual CSS3 modules.

4. Survey: I'm wondering if it would be useful to do a survey of non-W3C web extensions related to video services and try to collect those in a document. We could then review this and see which are covered by HTML5 and other W3C specifications and which are not.

5. Title: The goal for me is a profile of HTML5 for video services. There are two differences with "Web&TV Profile".
- I want to include HTML5 in the title because this is HTML5-related and HTM5-centric
- I don't like including "TV". This continues to cause confusion. It is clearer to describe an HTML5 profile for video services.

See you on the call.

Thanks,
mav