Re: 2014 Sports Proposal - V3

On Jun 16, 2014, at 3:57 PM, Jason Johnson (BING) <jasjoh@microsoft.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> I’m pleased to formally announce and encourage review and feedback on an updated version of the 2014 Sports Vocabulary proposal that was originally shared earlier this year in January.  This is the third (and hopefully final) major update to the proposal since then with major changes including:
>
> - overhaul of the statistics and event results vocabulary and data model
> - removal of the ‘Event Series’ vocabulary in favor of the more generic Itemlist proposal
> - significant re-formatting to make the doc more readable
> - alignment with the new Role based vocabulary and data model
>
> A full list of changes can be found in the Change Log at the bottom of the exported PDF.

This is a major improvement to the previous specification. A couple of points others have also made:

* I think the “sport” property is too specific, and a more generic “discipline” would be more generally applicable. Also, the range should be to an Intangible “Discipline”, which might take instances from DBpedia, or some could be defined within schema.org. As always, it’s acceptable to use plain text here as with other schema.org properties expecting an entity.

* I don’t think we’ve adequately looked at seasons; In my model, a Season is a subclass of event (probably CompetitionEvent or SportsEvent, which contains the individual competitions taking place during that season. It’s also useful for projecting player and coach references, which would be similar to those Roles having the same event start/end times, but better makes up a team roster for a given season. There are also other things that could be tagged to a Season, such as the name of the SportsTeam during this season, their venue and other things that may change over time.

Gregg