Re: 2014 Sports Proposal - V3

On 6/18/14, 9:46 AM, Gregg Kellogg wrote:

> * I think the “sport” property is too specific, and a more generic
> “discipline” would be more generally applicable.

Gregg, I don't see the term "discipline" in this sense at all. You could
say that the specific skill of a particular sport is a discipline in the
sense that it is a behavior that is learned through rigorous activity
(the golfer's swing, the basketball player's jump shot, the gymnast's
adherence to the code of points). But I wouldn't see the entire sport as
a discipline, even though it may require some level of discipline in
order to do it well. In particular, there is a wide range of discipline
between sports and among those who play sports, so wrapping it in this
term seems overly precise. Besides, most English-speaking people would
normally call such things a "sport."

kc

Also, the range should

--