question re: streaming caption data format

From: Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpat@adobe.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 19:06:10 -0700
To: "public-tt@w3.org" <public-tt@w3.org>

DB: Header information is fixed like it is in DFXP. Supports out of band styling, but no in stream styling. Canuse smil param elements as the out of band mechanism.

Related to the discussion last week - what is the use case that we are trying to support where the caption or other text stream needs to change format?  I may be thinking too narrowly around captioning, but the case where captions are streaming it is all that the captioner can do to get the text of the captions into the stream, forget about modifying the style...  Are there current cases where this is needed?

Thanks,
AWK