Re: Issue 115, exemptions, best practices: Issue 25 and 34

From: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 21:07:33 -0500
Cc: "public-tracking@w3.org Group WG" <public-tracking@w3.org>
To: Kevin Smith <kevsmith@adobe.com>

Le 23 févr. 2012 à 18:16, Kevin Smith a écrit :
> I think we are largely missing the boat here.  I understand the concern Jeff has that people will be coerced into granting site level exceptions.

It's not about missing the boat, it's about different categories of people having different expectations. (not saying that I agree with Jeff or you, but just that the spectrum is large.)

> I actually think the success of DNT may ride largely on how smooth the browsers are able to make the exception process for users, and how easy it is for sites to implement exceptions.

Agreed, but acknowledge that the success of DNT doesn't mean at all a success for certain category of users with regards to personal data usage.  Basically the « success » of DNT is measured in terms of deployment. The satisfaction of consumers organization will be on how meaningful it is to have DNT on.
One is not necessary the consequence of the other. :)

--
Karl Dubost - http://dev.opera.com/
Developer Relations, Opera Software