Re: who are we protecting against? is it 'bad actors'?

From: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 19:42:43 -0500
Cc: "public-tracking@w3.org (public-tracking@w3.org)" <public-tracking@w3.org>
To: David Singer <singer@apple.com>

Le 23 févr. 2012 à 19:20, David Singer a écrit :
> we agree we're not protecting against 'bad actors'

YUP!

> Since these are the companies that will 'play right up to the fence', it is for these companies that deciding where the fence is, is important.  (And doubly important to make sure that there aren't gaps in the fence, as then they can keep going in that direction indefinitely and never encounter a fence.)

Three things:

* The obvious gap in the standards that we have just forgotten
  - mistakes (it's why real implementations for testing it
    are important before it is stamped as a w3c rec)

* The gap we could not identify
  - There are things sometimes where we create gaps? Or more
    exactly, we create new ways of doing things. I think for
    example about table markup used for doing layout in HTML.

* The context that we will change because of the new system.
  I would imagine for example industries going all vertical
  and buying all the needed infrastructure to be able to fit
  the first party definition.
  - The users are still tracked.
  - The companies who can't fit the new model disappear.
  - The ones who can just got more effective.

--
Karl Dubost - http://dev.opera.com/
Developer Relations, Opera Software