Re: Telephony API draft

From: Mounir Lamouri <mounir@lamouri.fr>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 15:39:15 +0100
To: Göran Eriksson <gaperik@gmail.com>
CC: "public-sysapps@w3.org" <public-sysapps@w3.org>
On 10/24/2012 02:27 PM, Göran Eriksson wrote:
> Hi
>
> Perhaps a stupid question but may I ask about the assumptions around the implementation of the API: do You assume it to be directly tied to the telephony stack on the modem- be that a CS Telephony stack or an IMS based- or will there be a layer beneath allowing the user/ developer to pick underlying provider, similar to the approach in some Android API's?

In my opinion, this API should only take care of the hardware telephony
stack. Open protocols like XMPP or SIP or closed ones like Google Voice
or Skype can be implemented without a full API on top. If we allow the
Web Platform to create and use TCP/UDP raw sockets, there is no reasons
why a Javascript library couldn't implement a wrapper around SIP and
XMPP. Requesting this to be in the Web Platform just increase to cost
for any new comer to comply with the Web Standards and will uselessly
bloat it.

--
Mounir