W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-swbp-wg@w3.org > September 2005

Re: Minutes from WG teleconference 19-Sep-2005

From: Christopher Welty <welty@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 08:31:34 -0400
To: "Booth, David (HP Software - Boston)" <dbooth@hp.com>
Cc: public-swbp-wg@w3.org, public-swbp-wg-request@w3.org
Message-ID: <OF5A303C4E.5A482C54-ON85257088.0044BCE7-85257088.0044CE6C@us.ibm.com>

David,

Good notes, as usual.  I suggest changing:

   Natasha: As far as OEP is concerned, we're done.

   Guus: That's on my to do list.
   ... Expect an update of Mark's document on Wordnet.

   <ChrisW> that was, Natasha: as far as OEP is concerned, the n-ary
notes is
   done, just waiting for guus


to:

   Natasha: As far as OEP is concerned, the n-ary note is done, just 
waiting for Guus.
   Guus: That's on my to do list.
   ... Expect an update of Mark's document on Wordnet.


Dr. Christopher A. Welty, Knowledge Structures Group
IBM Watson Research Center, 19 Skyline Dr., Hawthorne, NY  10532
Voice: +1 914.784.7055,  IBM T/L: 863.7055, Fax: +1 914.784.7455
Email: welty@watson.ibm.com
Web: http://www.research.ibm.com/people/w/welty/



"Booth, David (HP Software - Boston)" <dbooth@hp.com> 
Sent by: public-swbp-wg-request@w3.org
09/23/2005 01:38 PM

To
<public-swbp-wg@w3.org>
cc

Subject
Minutes from WG teleconference 19-Sep-2005







Minutes from the SMBPD WG teleconference 19-Sep-2005 are in HTML at
http://www.w3.org/2005/09/19-swbp-minutes.html
and also below in plain text.

David Booth


---------------------------------------

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                  Semantic Web Best Practices and Deployment

19 Sep 2005

   [2]Agenda

      [2]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2005Sep/0067.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2005/09/19-swbp-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Ralph Swick, Raphael Troncy, Valentina Presutti, Guus
Schreiber,
          Christian Halaschek, Libby Miller, Alistair Miles, Jacco van
          Ossenbruggen, Evan Wallace, Brian Mcbride, David Booth, Holger
          Knublauch, Chris Welty, Phil Tetlow, Jeremy Carroll, Mike
Uschold,
          David Wood, Giorgos Stamou, Deb McGuinness, Natasha Noy

   Regrets
          Fabien, Benjamin, Jeff, TomB

   Chair
          Guus Schreiber / David Wood

   Scribe
          DBooth

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]1. ADMIN
         2. [6]2.1 Proposed resolution httpRange-14
         3. [7]2.2 XML Schema Last Call
         4. [8]2.3 SPARQL Last Call
         5. [9]2.4 Protocol and Formats WG request
         6. [10]3. FTF preparation and future of WG
         7. [11]4.0 MM TF (Giorgos)
         8. [12]4.2 OEP (Deb/Chris)
         9. [13]4.1 PORT (Alistair)
        10. [14]4.3 WordNet (Aldo)
        11. [15]4.4 XML Schema datatypes (Jeremy)
        12. [16]4.5 Vocabulary management (TomB)
        13. [17]4.6 RDF-in-HTML (Ben)
        14. [18]4.7 ADTF (Libby)
        15. [19]4.8 RDFTM (Steve)
        16. [20]4.9 Tutorial Page
        17. [21]4.10 SE TF
     * [22]Summary of Action Items

     _________________________________________________________________



   <RalphS> Previous: 2005-09-05
[23]http://www.w3.org/2005/09/05-swbp-minutes

     [23] http://www.w3.org/2005/09/05-swbp-minutes

1. ADMIN

   RESOLUTION: to accept the minutes of the 5 September telecon:

   [24]http://www.w3.org/2005/09/05-swbp-minutes

     [24] http://www.w3.org/2005/09/05-swbp-minutes

   <bwm> probable regrets from Brian for 03 Oct - will be on train

   RESOLUTION: next meeting 3 October.

   <RalphS> ACTION: Ralph create a [25]registration page for the
November f2f
   recorded in
[26]http://www.w3.org/2005/09/19-swbp-minutes.html#action01]

     [25] http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35495/ftf-3/

   Done after the meeting: [27]registration page]

     [27] http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35495/ftf-3/

   F2F Preparation: Trying to find a sponsor for the dinner. Volunteers?

   Guus: Please book now!

2.1 Proposed resolution httpRange-14

   <dwood> ralphs: +1 on more work re httpRange-14

   <scribe> ACTION: Ralph, DavidW, and DavidB to an initial draft of TAG
   httpRange-14 resolution impact on semweb application developers
[DONE]

   See [28]David Wood's use case message

     [28]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2005Sep/0010.html

2.2 XML Schema Last Call

   <scribe> ACTION: jjc to review XML Schema last call [DONE] [recorded
in
   [29]http://www.w3.org/2005/09/19-swbp-minutes.html#action03]

   <RalphS> [I'm reviewing the context of JJC's action in
   [30]http://www.w3.org/2005/07/25-swbp-minutes.html#action02 ]

     [30] http://www.w3.org/2005/07/25-swbp-minutes.html#action02

   <Jeremy>
 
[31]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2005Jul/0104.html

     [31]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2005Jul/0104.html

   <Jeremy>
 
[32]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-schema-comments/2005AprJ
un/0
   037.html

     [32]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-schema-comments/2005AprJun/0
037.html

   <RalphS> I'm happy considering this action DONE

2.3 SPARQL Last Call

   Guus: There were requests from DanC for review from the SWBPD WG.
   Volunteers?

   <bwm> I could take a pass at it - though note the editor sits close
to me

   <dwood> I volunteeer - I've been reading it anyway

   Ralph: Had some discussion about UNSAID and source. Chris and Deb
offered
   input on them. Have they looked at current SPARQL work?

   Chris: I looked at part, not all. There are a couple of IBM folks on
the WG.

   <scribe> ACTION: DavidWood and Brian to review SPARQL Last Call
document
   recorded in
[33]http://www.w3.org/2005/09/19-swbp-minutes.html#action04]

   <Zakim> Jeremy, you wanted to mention IRIs

   <scribe> ACTION: Jeremy to brief the WG on use of IRIs in SPARQL
[recorded
   in [34]http://www.w3.org/2005/09/19-swbp-minutes.html#action05]

   <RalphS> 14 September 2005: SPARQL Protocol for RDF - Last Call Ends
14
   October 2005

   <dwood> Please note that the SPARQL last call is for the *protocol*
   ([35]http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/proto-wd/). This is not to
be
   confused with the query language (although I think it was).

     [35] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/proto-wd/%29.

   <ChrisW> re: sparql comment from dwood - I only looked at the query
   language, never the protocol

   <ChrisW> ...however, PatH has been involved (OEP member)

2.4 Protocol and Formats WG request

   Guus: There was a specific request for people to look at some
problems they
   have.

   <RalphS> (SPARQL Query Results XML Format and SPARQL Query Language
for RDF
   LC both ended 1 Sep)

   <scribe> ACTION: jjc review EARL requirements [recorded in
   [36]http://www.w3.org/2005/07/25-swbp-minutes.html#action05]
[PENDING]

     [36] http://www.w3.org/2005/07/25-swbp-minutes.html#action05

   Guus: Volunteers? (No response)

   Ralph: Folks who have looked at porting taxonomies to the SemWeb
might be
   able to help.

   Alistair: This is the first I've heard of it. I'll have to look
first.

   Chris: I don't think we should be consultants to people who want to
build
   vocabularies on the SemWeb.

   Ralph: We wouldn't want a floodgate of requests for help, but this is
   another W3C WG, is asking us to comment on their work-in-progress
with
   respect to best practice, and so is very much in the spirit of our
charter.
   I don't think the material in the existing OEP notes is relevant to
them --
   the OEP work is much more advanced.

   <ChrisW> I also said - swbp had a lot of material in the form of
notes that
   could help this group

   Jeremy: From external perspective, all W3C publications reflect what
the W3C
   says, so if other groups say bad things it reflects badly on W3C as a
whole.
   So even if we don't want to, we need to pay attention to what others
say.

   <RalphS> Ralph: the EARL work may eventually need what OEP has
written but
   they're not yet there

   Alistair: This WG is creating a taxonomy? (Yes) And they want advice
on how
   to develop that? (Yes)

   <scribe> ACTION: Alistair and Guus to help the WAI Protocol and
Formats WG
   on their vocabulary [recorded in
   [37]http://www.w3.org/2005/09/19-swbp-minutes.html#action07]

3. FTF preparation and future of WG

   Guus: Need to consider what work should continue, and in what form,
after
   the end of this WG charter expires.

   Guus: I saw something from the OAP TF. Others?

   <Jeremy> (XSCH: I've not considered this yet)

   <RalphS> [38]OEP agenda for f2f [Chris 2005-09-17]

     [38]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2005Sep/0071.html

   Alistair: I hope by the time of the F2F we will have the revise WD of
the
   SKOS core spec and the revised WD of the guide reflecting changes to
date.
   Also proposals regarding SKOS Core and OWL. By end of charter, hope
to have
   3rd public WD (after review in OAP TF).

   Q: Should this be a break out session or part of full session?

   Guus: I prefer it to be in the primary session.

   Alistair: Fine. At the F2F I'd like to discuss a list of
proposals/issues
   relating to the SKOS/OWL relationship.

   Guus: Multimedia TF?

   Giorgos: Want to discuss the second deliverable for the TF, and the
   deliverable for the next year: the main budget for next year.

   Guus: Goals for this F2F? Deliverables?

   Giorgos: First deliverable will be finished; discuss the second.

   Guus: Decision on publishing the first deliverable at F2F? And date
for 2nd
   deliverable?

   Giorgos: Ok.

   Guus: All documents to be discussed need to be available 1 week
before the
   F2F.
   ... RDFTM?

   Valentina: We started again to work (Steve was ill). Didn't discuss
yet
   about F2F goals, but I'll post email to the list about goals and I'll
be
   there at the F2F.

   <RalphS> [good to have RDFTM presence here on the WG telecon; thanks,
   Valentina]

   <Zakim> Jeremy, you wanted to talk about SW and W3C

   Guus: Wordnet TF?

   <bwm> Do we have a plan beyond the f2f?

   Guus: Can bring data model RDF/OWL version to F2F. I'll post to the
list.

   Jeremy: I'll consider this and email the list.

   <RalphS> [JJC was commenting re: XML Schema Datatypes]

   Guus: Vocabulary management?

   Alistair: Suggest that Tom and I write up what we've done and submit
that.

   Guus: RDF-in-HTML?
   ... TF needs to make clear what they can realistically achieve in the
short
   term, and how to close this work.

   Ralph: TF is in limbo. Haven't managed to have a telecon in quite a
while. I
   continue to think we have a plan that is executable, and could
propose to
   shift the burden back to the HTML WG, but I'm not optimistic about
that
   being effective.
   ... This WG should continue to need to participate. Should not have a
plan
   to close the TF until HTML2 is in Last Call that meets our needs. WE
have
   outstanding issues with no recorded progress.

   Guus: What about producing a simple guideline note based on Jeremy's
WWW
   conference talk?

   Ralph: That could help.

   <Jeremy> Jeremy moans ...

   Jeremy: That's nice feedback, but not nice to have another action.
I'd be
   happy to be a supporting player.

   Ralph: Need to get our TF reconvening.

   Guus: We have too many TFs in limbo. Need to clear that by the F2F.
   ... ADTF?

   Libby: Discussed about whether to transfer to IG. I'll follow up with
email.

   <Jacco> jeremy, could steven pemberton write up your talk as a rdf-a
note?

   Guus: Goals For F2F?
   ... Tutorial Page?

   <Valentina> I apologize, I have to leave the telecon.

   <Valentina> Goodbye to all :)

   <scribe> ACTION: Guus to ping Benjamin and Jeff about the Tutorial
Page
   recorded in
[39]http://www.w3.org/2005/09/19-swbp-minutes.html#action08]

   Guus: SE TF?

   <ChrisW> "ODA" note

   Phil: Two definites: It would be good to decide about publication of
ODA
   Note. Second: Transfer of this discussion into SWIG.

   Guus: By next telecon, DavidW and I will try to have a draft agenda
for the
   F2F.
   ... Should also think about what should happen after Feb 1: Continue
in IG?
   Elsewhere? Special WG of its own? Etc.
   ... By next telecon every TF should have an opinion on this. E.g.,
SKOS has
   been mentioned a number of times as a candidate for Rec track work.
   ... GRDDL work is less clear, because it isn't clear who would work
on it.

   F2F logistics: [40]http://sw.deri.org/2005/07/swbpd/

     [40] http://sw.deri.org/2005/07/swbpd/

4.0 MM TF (Giorgos)

   <ChrisW> what is the first deliverable?

   Giogos: We set up home page of TF, working on the first deliverable.
Have
   requests from others to participate.
   ... Some W3C members who are not WG members want to join the TF.

   Guus: That's their right.

   Giorgos: Excellent. And for W3C members who are not yet a member of
this WG?

   Guus: The need to be proposed by their AC rep. We said TF size should
be
   4-8. You expect more?

   Giogos: No.

   Ralph: People joining a TF need to be part of the WG as a whole.
   ... and participate in these teleconferences.

   Giorgos: To be a co-author of a deliverable?

   Ralph: They need to be appointed to the WG by the AC rep, for
Intellectual
   Property rights reasons.

   Guus: Jane Hunter applied for Invited Expert status, given her
   circumstances, that might be granted.
   ... It would be good if she can join. She intends to make her new
employer a
   member. Quite different from the Motorola case.

   <RalphS> [Raphael speaking]

   Raphael: We are gathering experience in MM technologies -- the
encoding in
   MPEG7 and others. I'll email by the end of this week.

4.1 PORT (Alistair)

   <aliman> [PORT] also presented and gave a tutorial on SKOS Core at
DC2005
   last week ... tutorial at
 
[41]http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/cvs-public/~checkout~/skos/press/dc2005
/tut
   orial.ppt ... presentation at
 
[42]http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/cvs-public/~checkout~/skos/press/dc2005
/pre
   sentation.ppt
   <Zakim> aliman, you wanted to say a couple of words on PORT
   <aliman> [PORT] feedback at DC2005 on SKOS was overwhelmingly
positive!

     [41]
http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/cvs-public/%7Echeckout%7E/skos/press/dc2005
/tutorial.ppt
     [42]
http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/cvs-public/%7Echeckout%7E/skos/press/dc2005
/presentation.ppt

4.2 OEP (Deb/Chris)

   Chris: We'll need 3 docs reviewed: Qualified Cardinality
Restrictions; OWL
   Time; Semanantic Integration. Goal was an editor's draft by the F2F,
ready
   for WG review.

   <Jacco> i'll have to leave - sorry (I've got baby crying :-)

   <aliman> I could review the 'semantic integration' note?

   Chris: Might have Qual Card note ready earlier.

   <RalphS> [43]OEP home page

     [43] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/BestPractices/OEP/

   Chris: OWL Time content is ready, but needs to be formatted into W3C
Note
   format, so it's ready for WG review.

   <raphael_troncy> I have read also the 'semantic integration' note and
I will
   send comments on the list soon ...

   Chris: Semantic Int note should be ready for review for the F2F.
Maybe the
   Qual Card note.

   Ralph: I only see a bulleted list.

   <RalphS> Chris: follow the 'documentation' link from the OEP page

   Chris: I need to make it point to the documentation page.

   <scribe> ACTION: Alistair to review Qualified Cardinality note
[recorded in
   [44]http://www.w3.org/2005/09/19-swbp-minutes.html#action09]

   <scribe> ACTION: Guus to review OWL Time note [recorded in
   [45]http://www.w3.org/2005/09/19-swbp-minutes.html#action10]

   <Jeremy> I'm interested in time, but too overloaded

   <RalphS> [I will likely read the Time note out of interest too, but
don't
   want to commit to a review at this time]

   <dwood> Brian left about 30 minutes ago

   <scribe> ACTION: Jeremy to ask HP folks about reviewing Semantic
Integration
   note, which will be ready for review near the F2F [recorded in
   [46]http://www.w3.org/2005/09/19-swbp-minutes.html#action11]

   <Gary> [I am likely to read all three notes, but cannot commit to a
review
   at this time]

   <scribe> ACTION: Libby to review OWL Time note [recorded in
   [47]http://www.w3.org/2005/09/19-swbp-minutes.html#action12]

   Natasha: As far as OEP is concerned, we're done.

   Guus: That's on my to do list.
   ... Expect an update of Mark's document on Wordnet.

   <ChrisW> that was, Natasha: as far as OEP is concerned, the n-ary
notes is
   done, just waiting for guus

   <aliman> [Adding some additional notes re PORT] ... I've written up
   PORT/SKOS goals at
 
[48]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2005Sep/0079.html

     [48]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2005Sep/0079.html

4.3 WordNet (Aldo)

   Nothing to add.

4.4 XML Schema datatypes (Jeremy)

   Nothing to add.

4.5 Vocabulary management (TomB)

   Nothing to add..

4.6 RDF-in-HTML (Ben)

   No news.

4.7 ADTF (Libby)

   Libby: Site has been hacked; working on another site temporarily.

4.8 RDFTM (Steve)

   Nothing to add.

4.9 Tutorial Page

   Nothing to add.

4.10 SE TF

   <libby> (we're maintaining this
   [49]http://esw.w3.org/topic/SemanticWebDOAPBulletinBoard but not
   [50]http://esw.w3.org/mt/esw/ in adtf)

     [49] http://esw.w3.org/topic/SemanticWebDOAPBulletinBoard
     [50] http://esw.w3.org/mt/esw/

   <scribe> ACTION: DanBri to clarify rules for IG to propose new
mailing lists
   for its TFs [recorded in
   [51]http://www.w3.org/2005/09/05-swbp-minutes.html#action10]
[PENDING]

     [51] http://www.w3.org/2005/09/05-swbp-minutes.html#action10

   Guus: Main topic of upcoming F2F agenda will be on what work to
continue.

   ADJOURNED

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Alistair and Guus to help the WAI Protocol and Formats
WG on
   their vocabulary [recorded in
   [52]http://www.w3.org/2005/09/19-swbp-minutes.html#action07]
   [NEW] ACTION: Alistair to review Qualified Cardinality note [recorded
in
   [53]http://www.w3.org/2005/09/19-swbp-minutes.html#action09]
   [NEW] ACTION: DavidWood and Brian to review SPARQL Last Call document
   recorded in
[54]http://www.w3.org/2005/09/19-swbp-minutes.html#action04]
   [NEW] ACTION: Guus to ping Benjamin and Jeff about the Tutorial Page
   recorded in
[55]http://www.w3.org/2005/09/19-swbp-minutes.html#action08]
   [NEW] ACTION: Guus to review OWL Time note [recorded in
   [56]http://www.w3.org/2005/09/19-swbp-minutes.html#action10]
   [NEW] ACTION: Jeremy to ask HP folks about reviewing Semantic
Integration
   note, which will be ready for review near the F2F [recorded in
   [57]http://www.w3.org/2005/09/19-swbp-minutes.html#action11]
   [NEW] ACTION: Jeremy to brief the WG on use of IRIs in SPARQL
[recorded in
   [58]http://www.w3.org/2005/09/19-swbp-minutes.html#action05]
   [NEW] ACTION: Libby to review OWL Time note [recorded in
   [59]http://www.w3.org/2005/09/19-swbp-minutes.html#action12]
   [NEW] ACTION: Ralph create a registration page for the November f2f
   recorded in
[60]http://www.w3.org/2005/09/19-swbp-minutes.html#action01]

   [PENDING] ACTION: DanBri to clarify rules for IG to propose new
mailing
   lists for its TFs [recorded in
   [61]http://www.w3.org/2005/09/05-swbp-minutes.html#action10]
   [PENDING] ACTION: jjc review EARL requirements [recorded in
   [62]http://www.w3.org/2005/07/25-swbp-minutes.html#action05]

     [61] http://www.w3.org/2005/09/05-swbp-minutes.html#action10
     [62] http://www.w3.org/2005/07/25-swbp-minutes.html#action05

   [DONE] ACTION: jjc to review XML Schema last call [recorded in
   [63]http://www.w3.org/2005/09/19-swbp-minutes.html#action03]
   [DONE] ACTION: Ralph, DavidW, and DavidB to an initial draft of TAG
   httpRange-14 resolution impact on semweb application developers

   [End of minutes]

     _________________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [64]scribe.perl version 1.127
([65]CVS
    log)
    $Date: 2005/09/23 17:25:08 $

     [64]
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/%7Echeckout%7E/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [65] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

     _________________________________________________________________
Received on Monday, 26 September 2005 12:33:32 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 21:09:44 UTC