Re: Can RDFa be used on XML: pharma information

From: Matthias Samwald <samwald@gmx.at>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 12:32:44 +0200
To: "Rick Jelliffe" <rjelliffe@allette.com.au>, <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
Hi Rick,

> So there is still no convenient way to mark up existing XML as RDF?  It
> was a showstopper 10 years ago but I kind of expected there would have
been some progress

I rather think that using XML as the default representation for RDF was the
showstopper back then. RDF/XML is not a good serialisation for RDF, Turtle
and N-Triples would have been a much better choice in comparison. I guess
the choice for RDF/XML was made for diplomatic reasons (not basing any kind
of new data standard on XML was unthinkable at that time), rather than
practicality.

> (Like I said, it has different info from the HTML so adding RDFa to the
> HTML won't work; also the XML has existing customers so we don't want to
> alter that, though the idea of duplicating the XML data as RDF seems
> workable but a terrible hack; and we want to avoid having a new datafeed.)

So you do not want to alter the XML in a substantial way, and neither want
to create a RDF representation out of the XML via some kind of
transformation? I am afraid that solving you problem is not possible under
these constraints.

Cheers,
Matthias Samwald

DERI Galway, Ireland
http://deri.ie/

Konrad Lorenz Institute for Evolution & Cognition Research, Austria
http://kli.ac.at/