RE: Evidence

From: Skinner, Karen (NIH/NIDA) [E] <kskinner@nida.nih.gov>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 16:41:51 -0400
To: <samwald@gmx.at>, "Waclaw Kusnierczyk" <Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk@idi.ntnu.no>
Cc: <phismith@buffalo.edu>, <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>

This discussion on "evidence" makes me wonder if "inclusion" or "exclusion" criteria for a study are considered as "evidence" or are they something else?  For example, if "smokers" are to be excluded from a study, a definition of a "smoker" must exist, and then an interpretation of whether the subject satisfies the definition  must exist. In the
"Fagerstrom Test for Nicotine Dependence", the subject is evaluated with respect to a series of questions, each of which requires its own "evaluation."  http://ww2.heartandstroke.ca/DownloadDocs/PDF/Fagerstrom_Test.pdf

Is there a definition for "evidence" that applies to any aspects of this situation, and if so, what would it be?

Karen Skinner