Re: Evidence

Hi Karen,

We're working on an expression of standard cognitive assessments and
behavior tests in BIRNLex, as many of the functional imaging studies
covered in the Function BIRN test bed make use of a whole battery of
such tests - including the Fagerstrom Test for Nicotine Dependence.

Our goal is to express these using BFO and other OBO Foundry
ontologies in such a way that the ultimate result can be incorporated
into OBI.  To do so, requires we create a great many other entities,
such as "Smoking Behavior".   Working through a few examples so that
we can put these out on the BFO list for review is one of the current
tasks on our plate.  In fact, I've got a meeting coming up soon with
the FBIRN Project Manager Jessica Turner (http://www.nbirn.net/about/
personnel.shtm) who along with Christine Fennema-Notestine from the
Morphometry BIRN and Angie Laird from the Brainmap.org group (Fox/
Lancaster) has been spear-heading this effort to compile a
comprehensive list of the assessments and behavioral features we need
to represent.  We'll also ultimately want to vet this with the folks
at the fMRI Data Center (www.fmridc.org).

The ultimate goal is - built on a BFO + OBO-Relations foundation - to
express evidence associated with executing these assessments using
OBI and the PATO-associated Phenotype assertion formalism under
development by NCBO+GO investigators.

We'd hoped to also make use of relevant terms in the CVs created by
PsychInfo, but there have been licensing issues that have got in the
way to date.

Cheers,
Bill

On Jun 12, 2007, at 4:41 PM, Skinner, Karen (NIH/NIDA) [E] wrote:

> This discussion on "evidence" makes me wonder if "inclusion" or
> "exclusion" criteria for a study are considered as "evidence" or
> are they something else?  For example, if "smokers" are to be
> excluded from a study, a definition of a "smoker" must exist, and
> then an interpretation of whether the subject satisfies the
> definition  must exist. In the
> "Fagerstrom Test for Nicotine Dependence", the subject is evaluated
> with respect to a series of questions, each of which requires its
> own "evaluation."  http://ww2.heartandstroke.ca/DownloadDocs/PDF/
> Fagerstrom_Test.pdf
>
> Is there a definition for "evidence" that applies to any aspects of
> this situation, and if so, what would it be?
>
> Karen Skinner

Bill Bug

www.neuroterrain.org
Department of Neurobiology & Anatomy